make a spell and grammar check possible in text area of a web page.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bhupesh Naik, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Bhupesh Naik

    Bhupesh Naik Guest

    This is a query regarding my problem to make a spell and
    grammar check possible in text area of a web page.

    We have aspx pages which are used to construct letters.
    The browser based screens provide text area where the user
    can insert big chunks of text and submit it all to the
    server paragraph by paragraph.

    The requirement is to do a Spell Check AND Grammar Check
    in the text area. I did look at lot of possible third
    party solutions which will work externally and provide the
    checks in the Text Area of a browser web page, but they
    all provide just the Spell Check and no grammar check. For
    example http:\\www.asutype.com Does anyone know of a
    component that will do this..?

    I am looking at a solution wherein I could embed MS Word
    in the aspx pages as the text area. This was possible in
    windows forms in previous versions like in VB6 where an
    OLE container can be used to host different MS application
    documents. This is still possible in some of the MS Office
    Software's, Linking and embedding.

    It seems the OLE support is removed from .NET and that
    rules out the possibility of embedding MS Word in aspx
    pages. Let me know if I am wrong.

    I have used WORD automation objects to open a document at
    client side and call the Spell Checks and Grammar checks
    method using Java Scripts but that pops up a Word document
    during the checks and toggling the visibility to false
    makes the browser - not responding.

    I would like to know of any other possible solution to do
    a spell check and grammar check inside a web page.

    Platform used:
    Windows 2000 Server SP 2.0
    Visual Studio.NET with .NET Framework 1.0 + SP 2.0

    Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Bhupesh

    Bhupesh Naik, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Bhupesh Naik

    Jerry III Guest

    You are wrong about not being able to embed OLE controls in ASP.NET pages.
    That embeding is completely client side, it does not matter what server
    technology you use (be it ASP.NET or PHP or JSP or whatever). You embed
    objects with the <object> tag and the client does not care what you use to
    create the HTML that embeds it.

    Jerry

    Jerry III, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Bhupesh Naik

    Bhupesh Naik Guest

    Hi Jerry,

    Thanks for the effort to understand my query and for that
    information too.

    I am aware that the Object tag can help you to use any
    activex control as it used to do in traditional ASP pages
    but unfortunately that is not the real concern.
    I Would like to know If there is any alternative to OLE
    for managed environment and as .NET framework also does
    not provide with any Ole controls old or new versions,
    does mean that it has to be registered from the previous
    versions like VB 6 to use it.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Bhupesh

    Bhupesh Naik, Aug 7, 2003