    cpp

    PS: I apologize if this is considered off-topic, but I couldn't find
    another group where it made sense to ask.
    cppaddict, Apr 22, 2004

  2. cppaddict

    John Carson Guest

    "cppaddict" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone offer a good reference for learning about using make with
    > gcc on windows xp? Are there any other utilities I should know about
    > for managing multiple-file projects?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > cpp
    >
    > PS: I apologize if this is considered off-topic, but I couldn't find
    > another group where it made sense to ask.

    gnu.gcc.help ?

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Apr 22, 2004

  3. cppaddict

    ajay Guest

    GOOGLE

    ajay, Apr 22, 2004
  4. cppaddict

    John Smith Guest

    You should look into Makepp.
    It's a replacement for gnu make but is much better.
    All the traditional flaws with gnu make are gone and I've been using it for
    months with alot of happiness. The only downside is lower speed but still
    it's worth looking into.

    http://makepp.sourceforge.net/

    John Smith, Apr 22, 2004
  5. cppaddict

    Derek Guest

    > Can someone offer a good reference for learning about
    > using make with gcc on windows xp? Are there any other
    > utilities I should know about for managing multiple-file
    > projects?

    A good book on GNU build tools is "GNU Autoconf, Automamke,
    and Libtool" by Vaughan et al.:

    http://www.bookpool.com/.x/rcor4edw24/ss/1?qs=gnu autoconf

    It's the de-facto standard for many platforms, but not my
    favorite. There are lots of programs that claim to be
    replacements for make. Two that come to mind are cmake
    (http://www.cmake.org) and jam:

    http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html

    I currently use jam quite a bit because it's free,
    portable, and very easy to learn. Plus it understands
    dependencies natively. You may prefer another tool.

    Incidentally, a modified version of jam is used to build
    Boost, so it's quite capable of dealing with very large
    projects across many platforms.

    Any of the above will work with GCC/Cygwin/XP.
    Derek, Apr 22, 2004