Making my SQL-Server based app MS Access compatible

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bucko, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Bucko

    Bucko Guest

    Hi guys,

    I have an app that, right now, uses a SQL Server database and very
    simple, universal SQL commands. I use SqlCommand, SqlDataReader and
    SqlDataAdapter objects. I use web.config to store my database connection
    string.

    I want to make this MS-Access compatible. Please let me know if this is
    correct and all that is needed to make my software work with Access:

    1. Change connection string to reflect the Access database

    2.Use "OleDb" counterparts to all SqlCommand, SqlDataReader and
    SqlDataAdapter object declarations

    3. Ensure I use universal SQL commands in my SQL statements (which I
    have done)

    4. Ensure Access database has equivelent field names and types

    Is there anything else? Thanks very much for all help,

    Buck

    Bucko, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Yes, that all sounds good, and I'd add this step too:

    5. Test with both Access and SQL Server to make sure you've done steps 1
    through 4 correctly.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP