MAPI Server...

Mike Monaghan

I have inherited a glueware application that I'd like to convert to
Python. To avoid a long discussion here's how the application
works...

A voice mail system uses MAPI to pass a message to Outlook Express.
Since Outlook Express has protection to prevent worms another program
hits the "It's okay to allow this" button. Outlook then passes the
message to a SMTP server that puts the raw message in a file where
another program can pickup and parse the message into something
usable.

There's a lot of parts to this and to put it mildly I'm not really
happy with the way this is all put together. I can't change the MAPI
call from the voicemail system. The rest is open to debate.

The voicemail system treats Outlook as a MAPI server. Is there any
support in Python to emulate this role? I'd rather not reinvent the
wheel. By emulating the Outlook Express' MAPI server I could take
Outlook, The button presser, the SMTP server, and a major part of the
last program out of the chain and provide a simple Python application
to do the job. The logic in this isn't complex so python seems like a
natural if I can emulate the MAPI Server in Python. Any references to
libs or source code would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Monaghan

Ross,

Reading my post again I was as clear as mud.

I'm looking to emulate the MAPI Server (Outlook Express in this case).
I want the application to be seen as the system's MAPI server so the
voicemail system will pass its data directly to the Python program.
The voicemail system acts as the MAPI Client and I have no control
over it.

Thanks,

Mike

Elbert Lev

(e-mail address removed) (Mike Monaghan) wrote in message
Mike!

In essence you are asking if somebody implemented MAPI service
provider in Python. Actually the voice-mail designers made not a bad
decision: OE is installed on every windows machine, including the
server, where voice-mail is running. It is a default e-mail client (if
one does not install Outlook or something else). So all SMAPI calls
are executed by OE. The only problem IMHO is this "press-damn-button"
application. In fact this is not required. You can uncheck the option
(warn me when other application ....) on the security tab in the
Options dialog box of OE. Otherwise all looks OK. Do not forget to
restart the voice-mail. I bet, they open the mapi session once at the
start of the program and then use it :)