    Does anyone have any ideas of what mapping service one could use for a
    community web site that wouldnt keep changing paramters and causing dead
    links?
    rfr, Jun 13, 2006

  2. rfr

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "rfr" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I manage a community web site and over the last eight years have tried a
    >number of mapping services to provide visitors maps to things like City
    >Parks, Recreational facilities, Churches, etc.
    >
    > These maps seemed to go dead often as the mapping service changes the
    > parameters that they use. To some extent I can see that their needs to
    > upgrade their services will change the parameters. But, it also causes an
    > un-announced discontinuation of services ot visitors to my web Site.
    >
    > So, I got tired of discovering dead links and discontinued most of my use
    > of maps except for those I made into images.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas of what mapping service one could use for a
    > community web site that wouldnt keep changing paramters and causing dead
    > links?

    Which country are you in? I ask because in the UK I've found multimap
    (multimap.com) to be very reliable - I know they cover other countries as
    well, but I only have experience within the UK. I put together a site for my
    local church with a location map, that was well over 5 years ago and the
    link still works. No guarantees of course that multimap won't change their
    link parameters tomorrow or the day after that ...
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Jun 13, 2006

  3. rfr

    rfr Guest

    I am located in the USA in Minnesota.

    It sure would be nice to have such a USA facility that would stay with the
    same URL format for years.

    I got tired of replacing these when they went dead, and tired of worrying
    when the next batch would go dead.

    I, also, notice that the mapping services I see all have dropped the ability
    to manually set the center and mark the spot more closely.

    rfr, Jun 14, 2006