    the data from the form fields after PostBack - everything comes back as an
    empty string.

    Any ideas????? Thanks in advance!

    Warren J. Hairston, May 10, 2004

  2. Warren J. Hairston

    clintonG Guest

    I can't be of any immediate help but thhis is an area I have an
    interest in and have been wondering what the fundamental differences
    will be between what some have developed using 1.1 and what
    the 2.0 offering will provide.

    Have you any ideas or comments?

    --
    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET

    "Warren J. Hairston" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've written a simple test program using both the ASP.NET team's

    Master
    > Pages implementation for .NET 1.1 as well as Andy Smith's improved

    version
    > at the MetaBuilders web site. Each of my pages stores the information
    > entered on the web form into a SQL Server database. Worked fine before

    > converted to the Master Pages scheme.
    >
    > After the conversion, the pages still operate as expected BUT the only

    thing
    > saved to the database are NULL strings! It appears as if I cannot

    retrieve

    clintonG, May 10, 2004

  3. Warren J. Hairston

    Natty Gur Guest

    Hi,

    I didn't saw such a behavior in 1.1 or in 2.0 versions but I never used
    Andy Smith's improved version. If you try a page that behave as you
    mention without Andy Smith's improved version I'll be happy if you
    e-mail it to me : natty(at)Dao2com(dot)com.

    Natty Gur[MVP]

    blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
    Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

    Natty Gur, May 11, 2004
  4. I think I may have figured out what's happening...

    Some of my code references

    MyValue = Request.Form["ControlName"];

    on PostBack to retrieve the values. If I change this to something like

    MyValue = ControlName.Text;

    to retrieve the values then things seem to work. Evidentally the names of
    the controls are being placed inside a new naming container under the
    MasterPages for .NET 1.1 scheme, making their "real" names into something
    more lengthy. By referencing them directly instead of through their assumed
    naming container, the compiler can find them correctly.

    Appreciate the offers for help!

    Warren J. Hairston, May 11, 2004