    level where I can make web applications? Can you recommend websites
    where I can find good introductory tutorials?What do you suggest would
    be the best way to learn Perl?
    The Count, Mar 16, 2007

  2. The Count

    Mirco Wahab Guest

    The Count wrote:
    > Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student and would like to find out
    > the best way to learn programming in perl.Perl is not offered in my
    > course but I find that it is a very popular language.I can program in
    > Pascal,Delphi and C++. How long could it take me to master perl to a
    > level where I can make web applications?

    *Web Applications*?

    You have to learn a huge hunk of skills for that,
    and of these: Perl will be a tool among others.

    The selection of "Perl" implies then possibly the
    following languages/concepts to learn:

    - SQL and some interface to Perl => Perl::DBI
    - Apache (or any httpd) with configuration language => mod_perl
    - HTML & CSS generators or simple Templating systems (=> CGI, => CGI::Simple)
    - HTML and a HTML Templating System (=> Mason, =>Template Toolkit ...)

    Each of these topics is covered by a bunch of books,
    more books exist on how to "put all these things together".

    And this is for "simple web applications" ;-)

    > Can you recommend websites where I can find good
    > introductory tutorials?What do you suggest would
    > be the best way to learn Perl?

    Each of the "Names" behind the '=>' from above
    will lead you to a book (some are downloadable
    and free) via google.

    Regards

    Mirco
    Mirco Wahab, Mar 16, 2007

  3. The Count

    Justin C Guest

    On 2007-03-16, Michele Dondi <> wrote:
    > On 16 Mar 2007 00:15:30 -0700, "The Count" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student and would like to find out
    >>the best way to learn programming in perl.Perl is not offered in my
    >>course but I find that it is a very popular language.I can program in
    >>Pascal,Delphi and C++.How long could it take me to master perl to a
    >>level where I can make web applications? Can you recommend websites

    > It depends. Perl is a vast language but it is inspired by many other
    > ones and just like with natural languages in the words of $Larry, it
    > is officially ok to only speak a subset to it. Call that "baby Perl".
    > While speaking baby Perl, people will often correct you and suggest
    > more mature ways to do things. In any case start with an introdutory
    > book, like the Llama.

    [snip]

    I'll second the Llama. It's my most thumbed book. I know where
    everything is in there and, for those moments when I can't remember the
    correct syntax (quite often then), it's invaluable.

    I've not built any web-apps but it educated me enough to automate the
    web-site for work, and a whole bunch of other things. I don't hesitate
    in recommending it as an introductory volume. Of course, when you're
    done with that there is still so much more to learn, but it gets you
    pointed in the right direction.

    Justin.

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.
    Justin C, Mar 16, 2007
  4. The Count

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <>, Justin
    C <> wrote:

    > On 2007-03-16, Michele Dondi <> wrote:
    > > On 16 Mar 2007 00:15:30 -0700, "The Count" <>
    > > wrote:

    > >>Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student and would like to find out
    > >>the best way to learn programming in perl.

    The best way depends on how you like to learn.

    > >>.How long could it take me to master perl to a
    > >>level where I can make web applications?

    I'm still trying to master Perl :)

    > > In any case start with an introdutory
    > > book, like the Llama.

    > [snip]
    >
    > I'll second the Llama. It's my most thumbed book. I know where
    > everything is in there and, for those moments when I can't remember the
    > correct syntax (quite often then), it's invaluable.

    Besides the Llama (which is _Learning Perl_, in case someone forgot to
    mention that), there is _Intermediate Perl_ (the Alpaca), and soon
    there will be _Mastering Perl_. We designed those books as a
    progression from beginner to advanced programmer. _Mastering Perl_
    is currently in production for a summer release, but also online:

    http://www.pair.com/comdog/mastering_perl

    I also have a _Learning Perl Study Guide_, a companion to _Learning
    Perl_ with additional exercises and answers:

    http://www.theperlreview.com/learning_perl_study_guide/

    You might be interested in other books, and most of the Perl ones are
    on:

    http://books.perl.org

    brian d foy, Mar 17, 2007