Matlab (.m) to VHDL

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Vitaliy, Dec 24, 2006.

  1. Vitaliy

    Vitaliy Guest

    Hello,

    I have seen this question many times in the newsgroups but I did not
    see a clear answer.
    I have to perform various operations on arrays of data (such as
    multiplication, addition, finding mean, etc.). I have code written in
    Matlab and would like to translate it to vhdl. I understand that such
    subroutines as imagesc, imwrite, etc. might not be possible to
    translate to vhdl and will need to be written (or similar functions
    might be already implemented in vhdl). Is there anyway of directly
    translating Matlab code directly to vhdl? Can this be done using
    Simulink (Xilinx System Generator)? I don't have System Generator at
    home and Xilinx doesn't seem to have evaluation version (asking for
    Product Serial Number). Or maybe my question should be: can this be
    done in Simulink to start with?
    I have Xilinx FPGA/ISE. And if this can not be done using System
    Generator, is there anything else that can be used?

    Please let me know if my requirements are not very clear.

    Thanks,
    Vitaliy

    Vitaliy, Dec 24, 2006

  2. Vitaliy

    David Bishop Guest

    Vitaliy wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have seen this question many times in the newsgroups but I did not
    > see a clear answer.
    > I have to perform various operations on arrays of data (such as
    > multiplication, addition, finding mean, etc.). I have code written in
    > Matlab and would like to translate it to vhdl. I understand that such
    > subroutines as imagesc, imwrite, etc. might not be possible to
    > translate to vhdl and will need to be written (or similar functions
    > might be already implemented in vhdl). Is there anyway of directly
    > translating Matlab code directly to vhdl? Can this be done using
    > Simulink (Xilinx System Generator)? I don't have System Generator at
    > home and Xilinx doesn't seem to have evaluation version (asking for
    > Product Serial Number). Or maybe my question should be: can this be
    > done in Simulink to start with?
    > I have Xilinx FPGA/ISE. And if this can not be done using System
    > Generator, is there anything else that can be used?
    >
    > Please let me know if my requirements are not very clear.

    At the moment there is no such thing. There are several Simulink based
    tools out there which help you get to hardware. You have to pay for
    these though, and you will really have no "golden" code if you go this
    route.

    I have written VHDL packages:
    http://www.vhdl.org/vhdl-200x/vhdl-200x-ft/packages/files.html
    Which follows the rules in Matlab, so creating this program should be
    possible.

    David Bishop, Dec 27, 2006

  3. Please look at the AccelDSP tool from Xilinx.. It is based on Matlab
    language to HDL conversion for Xilinx devices.

    http://www.xilinx.com/ise/dsp_design_prod/acceldsp/index.htm

    System Generator is based on Simulink based design environment to HDL
    conversion for Xilinx devices.

    http://www.xilinx.com/ise/optional_prod/system_generator.htm

    Regards

    Hemang

    Hemang Parekh, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Vitaliy

    Jim Lewis Guest

    Vitaliy,
    There was a paper presented at MAPLD bridging Matlab using
    the library David talked about. The abstract of the paper
    is posted at:
    http://www.klabs.org/mapld06/abstracts/225_hoy_a.html

    I expected to see the paper there too, but did not see it.
    You can contact the conference organizer and see if or when
    it will be available.

    Cheers,
    Jim Lewis
    VHDL Evangelist