    printers...?

    Are there any disadvantages when using media="blah"?

    chlori

    chlori, Nov 24, 2004

  2. chlori

    Toby Inkster Guest

    chlori wrote:

    > I found this:
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html
    > but how well is it supported by screens, phones,
    > printers...?

    media="screen" is supported by practically every CSS browser that runs on
    a standard desktop computer, as is media="print".

    media="all" is supported pretty much everywhere, with the noteworthy
    exception of Netscape 4.x.

    media="projection" is used by Opera in fullscreen mode.

    Opera in small-screen mode, and Opera for PDAs as well as a few other PDA
    browsers use media="handheld"

    Opera 7.x also experimentally supports CSS 3 media queries.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Nov 24, 2004

  3. chlori

    chlori Guest

    Toby Inkster schrieb am 24.11.2004 22:13:
    > Opera in small-screen mode, and Opera for PDAs as well as a few other PDA
    > browsers use media="handheld"

    Thanks

    But how well is media="handheld" supported by
    handhelds. Isn't that at least as important as Opera in
    small-screen mode?

    chlori

    chlori, Nov 25, 2004
  4. chlori

    Toby Inkster Guest

    chlori wrote:
    > Toby Inkster schrieb am 24.11.2004 22:13:
    >
    >> Opera in small-screen mode, and Opera for PDAs as well as a few other PDA
    >> browsers use media="handheld"

    > But how well is media="handheld" supported by handhelds. Isn't that at
    > least as important as Opera in small-screen mode?

    Most handheld browsers have two modes: screen and handheld. The user can
    toggle between them in the hope of getting the best results for each page.

    From my research...

    BROWSER SCREEN MODE HANDHELD MODE
    Opera for Symbian Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
    Symbian Browser Does not support CSS. Does not support CSS.
    Pocket Explorer 2002 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "screen" CSS.
    Pocket Explorer 2003 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
    NetFront ver 3.1 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
    OpenWave 6.1 Does not support CSS? Does not support CSS?
    Palm Web Pro 3 Does not support CSS? Does not support CSS?
    Blazer 3 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.

    .... but there doesn't seem to be a reliable source of information on this
    sort of thing.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Nov 25, 2004
  5. chlori

    mscir Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    <snip>
    > From my research...

    > BROWSER SCREEN MODE HANDHELD MODE
    > Opera for Symbian Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
    > Symbian Browser Does not support CSS. Does not support CSS.
    > Pocket Explorer 2002 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "screen" CSS.
    > Pocket Explorer 2003 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
    > NetFront ver 3.1 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
    > OpenWave 6.1 Does not support CSS? Does not support CSS?
    > Palm Web Pro 3 Does not support CSS? Does not support CSS?
    > Blazer 3 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
    >
    > ... but there doesn't seem to be a reliable source of information on this
    > sort of thing.

    I don't know if this site will be any help:

    http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/handheld-BrowserSummary.shtml
    http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/screen-BrowserSummary.shtml
    http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/print-BrowserSummary.shtml
    http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/projection-BrowserSummary.shtml

    mscir, Nov 25, 2004
  6. chlori

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Nov 26, 2004
  7. chlori

    kchayka Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > BROWSER SCREEN MODE HANDHELD MODE
    > OpenWave 6.1 Does not support CSS? Does not support CSS?

    A couple years ago I used an OpenWave 6.1 simulator for Palm 5.0, which
    did support screen media. The simulator had no handheld mode, just
    something that turned CSS off altogether.

    kchayka, Nov 27, 2004