Memories of 9/11

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Jimmy, Sep 11, 2011.

  1. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    Hello everyone,

    Just a thread for anyone who wants to share memories of 9/11/2001.

    I was working in lower Manhattan that day. After we heard the first bang
    we were all gathered round the TV. Everyone was paralyzed, struck dumb.
    When the second tower was hit, my boss said: "My wife was on the 75th
    floor". He started crying softly. It was incomprehension, not anger at
    that moment. No one could speak. When I made it home that day to my wife
    and boy in Somerville, NJ, we just hugged each other and cried. The cell
    phones had been down all day so they had no idea if I was alive or dead.
    I remember thinking: "Everything is changed now. For my boy growing up,
    the sense of security we took for granted won't exist any more".

    Thinking about how Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rove have screwed
    everything up since that day just makes the memory even more painful.
    There is no god, but still: God Bless America and God Bless President
    Obama.

    Sincerely,
    Jimmy
    Jimmy, Sep 11, 2011

  2. Jimmy

    ec429 Guest

    On 11/09/11 21:36, Jimmy wrote:
    > Just a thread for anyone who wants to share memories of 9/11/2001.

    <snip>
    > Thinking about how Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rove have screwed
    > everything up since that day just makes the memory even more painful.
    > There is no god, but still: God Bless America and God Bless President
    > Obama.

    Perhaps I have an uncharitable mind, but it doesn't seem like you want
    to share memories so much as to use them as a political weapon.
    I'm no more a supporter of Bush than I am of Obama (that is, none
    whatsoever), and I happen to agree with you on the epistemic status of
    deities, but nonetheless consider your hijacking of a strong emotion to
    support a political position (with only the most tenuous of logic to
    connect the two, although it would be no better if you were entirely
    accurate) simply vile. (I note in passing that you choose to conceal
    your email address.)
    Go and make trouble in talk.politics where you clearly belong.

    We now return to your regularly scheduled "What's the return type of
    main, and should I cast the result of malloc()?".
    -E
    --
    'sane', adj.: see 'unimaginative'
    on the web - http://jttlov.no-ip.org
    ec429, Sep 11, 2011

  3. In article <>,
    Kenneth Brody <> wrote:
    >On 9/11/2011 5:43 PM, ec429 wrote:
    >> On 11/09/11 21:36, Jimmy wrote:

    >[...]
    >> Go and make trouble in talk.politics where you clearly belong.
    >>
    >> We now return to your regularly scheduled "What's the return type of main,
    >> and should I cast the result of malloc()?".

    >Politics? In clc?
    >
    >"Remember the main()!"
    >
    >--
    >Kenneth Brody

    The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
    more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
    and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().

    --
    "The anti-regulation business ethos is based on the charmingly naive notion
    that people will not do unspeakable things for money." - Dana Carpender

    Quoted by Paul Ciszek (pciszek at panix dot com). But what I want to know
    is why is this diet/low-carb food author doing making pithy political/economic
    statements?

    Nevertheless, the above quote is dead-on, because, the thing is - business
    in one breath tells us they don't need to be regulated (which is to say:
    that they can morally self-regulate), then in the next breath tells us that
    corporations are amoral entities which have no obligations to anyone except
    their officers and shareholders, then in the next breath they tell us they
    don't need to be regulated (that they can morally self-regulate) ...
    Kenny McCormack, Sep 12, 2011
  4. ec429 typed...

    > On 11/09/11 21:36, Jimmy wrote:
    >> Just a thread for anyone who wants to share memories of 9/11/2001.

    > <snip>
    >> Thinking about how Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rove have screwed
    >> everything up since that day just makes the memory even more painful.
    >> There is no god, but still: God Bless America and God Bless President
    >> Obama.

    > Perhaps I have an uncharitable mind, but it doesn't seem like you want
    > to share memories so much as to use them as a political weapon. I'm no
    > more a supporter of Bush than I am of Obama (that is, none whatsoever),
    > and I happen to agree with you on the epistemic status of deities, but
    > nonetheless consider your hijacking of a strong emotion to support a
    > political position (with only the most tenuous of logic to connect the
    > two, although it would be no better if you were entirely accurate)
    > simply vile. (I note in passing that you choose to conceal your email
    > address.)

    I completely agree with this. You've got to remember that the liberals
    hate America, and it shows by the contempt they show for 9/11 victims.

    President Bush stepped up to the plate when it counted, and he defended
    the homeland. If a Democrat had been in office, right now Saddam would be
    stockpiling WMD and supplying Al Quaeda to attack the US again. If we'd
    had an allegedly Moslem President on 9/11, possibly not even born in the
    USA, where would his sympathies have lain?

    The world needs America's moral leadership, bringing freedom and democracy
    to hostile countries. In 2012 the people of our great nation will once
    again elect a President who espouses these great Christian values of our
    heritage.

    -- ATP
    Andrew T. Packer, Sep 12, 2011
  5. In article <>,
    Andrew T. Packer <> babbled:
    >President Bush stepped up to the plate when it counted, and he defended
    >the homeland...

    Nice trolling!

    An 8.8 on the troll-o-meter.

    by the wise as foolish,
    and by the rulers as useful.

    (Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)
    Kenny McCormack, Sep 12, 2011
  6. Jimmy

    Guest

    Kenny McCormack <> wrote:

    > The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
    > more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
    > and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().

    So do you also advocate adding made up stuff to history books because
    it's more interesting than the usual endless discussions of history?
    --
    Larry Jones

    There's a connection here, I just know it. -- Calvin
    , Sep 13, 2011
  7. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Kenny McCormack <> wrote:
    >>
    >> The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
    >> more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
    >> and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().

    >So do you also advocate adding made up stuff to history books because
    >it's more interesting than the usual endless discussions of history?

    Do you still beat your wife?

    by the wise as foolish,
    and by the rulers as useful.

    (Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)
    Kenny McCormack, Sep 13, 2011
  8. On Sep 13, 7:28 am, (Kenny McCormack)
    wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    >  <> wrote:
    > >Kenny McCormack <> wrote:

    > >> The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
    > >> more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
    > >> and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().

    > >So do you also advocate adding made up stuff to history books because
    > >it's more interesting than the usual endless discussions of history?

    > Do you still beat your wife?

    Does your brother still wear a dress? Does your sister still make
    booze in the bathtub? Does your mom still chase you down the hallway
    with her robe flying open?
    Oliver Jackson, Sep 13, 2011
  9. Jimmy

    Rui Maciel Guest

    Kenny McCormack wrote:

    > The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
    > more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
    > and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().

    I'm sure there are plenty of newsgroups where US politics is on topic. This
    isn't one of them.

    Rui Maciel
    Rui Maciel, Sep 13, 2011