Menu on the left or on the right

mbstevens

Where I come from, we are more comfortable reading upside down so
I would cvery much appreciate if Luigi would make his one-man
business website easy for us. Menu at the bottom please.

I thought they had a Python script running on the backbones that
flips pages automatically when they cross the equator.

Rik

Greg said:
Interesting. But, in no way is this a proof or indicator that menus
on the right would be in any way less ergonomic.

If anything, it shows that the content of a block of information is
scanned in an F-fashion. It shows that the frequency that individual
blocks are looked at is somehow in proportion to their amount of text
content. It shows that our eyes are trained to dodge ads.

But it is not surprising that these eytracking studies show little
attention to the right hand side of web pages, because most web pages
don't have much there to look at. To conclude that right hand menus
would be inferior is daring.

Not really inferior, not at all actually. However, since people are
'trained' to scan in an F-like pattern, and the internet public is very
fast in leaving a site, you could well lose some visitors who cannot spot
you navigation in a split second. Ergonomically there is nothing wrong with
it.
It reminds me a little of the joke of the bridge project:

The city fathers debated building a new bridge across the river. To
determine whether a bridge at this spot would be needed and accepted
by the citizen, they hired a consulting firm. After an extensive
traffic flow tracking project, the consultants suggested not to build
the bridge. The tracking data clearly showed that there was no
traffic at the projected bridge position.

Hehe :)

Grtz,

rf

Rik" said:
Greg N. wrote:

Not really inferior, not at all actually. However, since people are
'trained' to scan in an F-like pattern, and the internet public is very
fast in leaving a site, you could well lose some visitors who cannot spot
you navigation in a split second. Ergonomically there is nothing wrong
with
it.

Perhaps actually superior. If the *content* is on the left then you grab
your audience straight away. This of course assumes that the relevant
content *is* on the front page.

What is more eye catching, some jucy information or a bunch of links to
elsewhere in the site?

Rik

rf said:
Perhaps actually superior. If the *content* is on the left then you
grab your audience straight away. This of course assumes that the
relevant content *is* on the front page.

What is more eye catching, some jucy information or a bunch of links
to elsewhere in the site?

Well, you've got a point. It depends on the sight I suppose, wether people
normally come in on the frontpage, wether they mean to read the whole site,
or just some singe page that got returned by a search. There is no
definitive answer I think.

Grtz,

dorayme

mbstevens said:
I thought they had a Python script running on the backbones that
flips pages automatically when they cross the equator.

OK pal... that might work for Australia. But what about for Mars?
On Mars, we like inside out as well. I have been instructed to
ask Luigi for this as he has fans on that planet like you would
never believe. They are absolutely fascinated by the idea of his
one-earthling business and would feel more comfortable reading
about it without everything being so outside in...

Deryck

Luigi said:
Are there any studies about whether it is easier for a user to read a menu
on the left or on the right of a webpage?

This doesn't answer your question but....

You could use 2 CSS stylesheets (one for left, one for right) and some
bit of code (involving PHP and cookies) to let the user select which
one he preferred.

I used to do this on a personal site until I migrated it to WordPress
(then I couldn't get it to work anymore)

Of course, then you'd have to decide what the default should be :)

Cheers

Deryck

mbstevens

OK pal... that might work for Australia. But what about for Mars?
On Mars, we like inside out as well. I have been instructed to
ask Luigi for this as he has fans on that planet like you would
never believe. They are absolutely fascinated by the idea of his
one-earthling business and would feel more comfortable reading
about it without everything being so outside in...

This may help you in your quest for the true dao of inside-outness:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_esoteric_programming_languages
http://members.tripod.com/rkusnery/weird.html
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/99/Nov/perl.html

Luigi Donatello Asero

Rik said:
Well, you've got a point. It depends on the sight I suppose, wether people
normally come in on the frontpage, wether they mean to read the whole site,
or just some singe page that got returned by a search. There is no
definitive answer I think.

I agree. Is it true that
Google pays to place advertisements on websites?
How much do they pay?
How does that work?

Nije Nego

What is more eye catching, some jucy information or a bunch of links to
elsewhere in the site?

I think, when it comes to the most regular Internet users that they are a
bit affraid of the links.
We are all lazy and seeing bunch of links primarily tells that you may not
find what you were searching for on the page and that you would have to
leave the page (more work + danger of getting lost).

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
OK pal... that might work for Australia. But what about for Mars?
On Mars, we like inside out as well. I have been instructed to
ask Luigi for this as he has fans on that planet like you would
never believe. They are absolutely fascinated by the idea of his
one-earthling business and would feel more comfortable reading
about it without everything being so outside in...

Both might have a point.
As the page contains a lot of information, I might provide several menus on
it.
What do you think?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Deryck said:
This doesn't answer your question but....

You could use 2 CSS stylesheets (one for left, one for right) and some
bit of code (involving PHP and cookies) to let the user select which
one he preferred.

How would I do that?
I am not so good at PHP.

dorayme

OK pal... that might work for Australia. But what about for Mars?
On Mars, we like inside out as well. I have been instructed to
ask Luigi for this as he has fans on that planet like you would
never believe. They are absolutely fascinated by the idea of his
one-earthling business and would feel more comfortable reading
about it without everything being so outside in...

Both might have a point.
As the page contains a lot of information, I might provide several menus on
it.
What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Yes, do do that, in fact, please make the whole website a one
pager with everything on it, it will fit in better with your
style. Some of the most successful n-man businesses in the world
are One Stop Shop affairs. My point is that if you make your
whole website on one page, with many many useful menus, this will
outdo and out-one-stop-shop all the other one stop shops which
are never wholly consistent and have multiple website pages with
just limited easily comprehensible material on each page, some
local menus to help out the useful global menu system. Don't be
like any normal n-stop n-man website. Be yourself. Stand out.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
Yes, do do that, in fact, please make the whole website a one
pager with everything on it

Just one of Luigi's pages has twice as much info as most of the complete
web sites on the planet ...

Deryck

Luigi said:
How would I do that?
I am not so good at PHP.

OK, something like this...

0) check that your wbhosting company lets you have PHP
1) convert html files to PHP (change the .html extension to .php)
2) update all internal links in the files you just changed to look
file.php rather than file.html

At this stage the site should now work as before

3) Make life easier for yourself by putting all code that gets repeated
(doctype, css, navigation menu, etc) at the start and end of each file
into separate files called, say header.inc and footer.inc

4)Now use PHP to include those files rather than having the code itself
in each file. Your newly converted html to php files will look something
like
<?php require ("header.inc") ?>
<?php require ("footer.inc") ?>

At this stage the site should now work as before

5)Create the 2 stylesheet files to position the menu on the left and
right sides. Test each.

6)Google for styleswitcher.php. I can't remember where I got the source
for my site from but
http://www.gr0w.com/articles/code/css_stylesheet_switcher_using_php_javascript_free/
will probably work OK.

7)Add this code to header.inc

8) Try it.

9)Debug it :)

Thats the summary of how to do it. Post again whe- if you get stuck.

Hope that helps,

Deryck

Jonathan N. Little

mbstevens said:
I was sufficiently impressed by these
that I had them bookmarked.

IMHO a web site should be user friendly but how strict depends the
purpose of the site. Yes academic essays published on the web in red
fantasy fonts on dark bitmap background are a bad idea, but Nielsen's
view is akin the the 'Cultural Revolution' in China: bland little boring
web sites!

Luigi, (whether or not you are actually receptive to suggestions), I
would say put your menu on either the right or the left, whatever suits
your 'design'. Just what every you do, make sure your menu is
recognizable as a menu and is handy when the page loads (i.e., not off
screen requiring scrolling to find it!)

Stan McCann

OK pal... that might work for Australia. But what about for Mars?
On Mars, we like inside out as well. I have been instructed to
ask Luigi for this as he has fans on that planet like you would
never believe. They are absolutely fascinated by the idea of his
one-earthling business and would feel more comfortable reading
about it without everything being so outside in...

So for a three column layout, martians want the menu in the middle and
the content in the outer two columns? I'm sure Luigi will be happy to
accomodate.

mbstevens

.... but Nielsen's
view is akin the the 'Cultural Revolution' in China: bland little boring
web sites!

That's seems a bit melodramatic.

Neilsen responds to similar charges in an interview
with Digital Web magazine at
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/jakob_nielsen/:

" I can hardly be authoritarian since I don't hold any authority. I don't
run any design projects and I can't fire anybody for making a Web site
too hard to use. All I can do is to report the findings from usability
research and recommend that companies follow the guidelines that have
resulted from these studies. I admit that I tend to be outspoken in
defending users' rights to simplicity, but I simply think that it's time
to stop being so accepting of difficult technology."

dorayme

Deryck said:
OK, something like this...

0) check that your wbhosting company lets you have PHP
1) convert html files to PHP (change the .html extension to .php)
2) update all internal links in the files you just changed to look
file.php rather than file.html

At this stage the site should now work as before

3) Make life easier for yourself by putting all code that gets repeated
(doctype, css, navigation menu, etc) at the start and end of each file
into separate files called, say header.inc and footer.inc

Before doing this Luigi, I say this because I know how you rush
to implement every suggestion immediately, be careful. PHP will
certainly help you in the end manage any reasonably big site but
you need to think about how to manage things on your own
computer. You may be wanting to see the site off line as it
should appear and not with references to text files elsewhere. In
which case you might best install a local server. This
immediately brings in a complication that militates against the
idea of making it easier for yourself. Often to make things
easier, you have to do some hard initial work. Like tooling up a
factory to easily produce something. Or better, it is all like
baking a cake really, if you do not have a properly equipped
kitchen, an "easy" recipe for a complicated cake might not be so
easy after all.

This is my first contribution for the day... and what a glorious
day it is in Sydney.

dorayme

OK pal... that might work for Australia. But what about for Mars?
On Mars, we like inside out as well. I have been instructed to
ask Luigi for this as he has fans on that planet like you would
never believe. They are absolutely fascinated by the idea of his
one-earthling business and would feel more comfortable reading
about it without everything being so outside in...

So for a three column layout, martians want the menu in the middle and
the content in the outer two columns? I'm sure Luigi will be happy to
accomodate.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Stan, that is the idea...plus a bit further too with the
footer swapped with the menu.