menu problem with flat screens

Regena

I am running a web based application. The application looks fine on an
ordinary monitor screen. but on a flat screen laptop the menu on the
right hand side gets cut off. Can anyone tell me what the problem might
be. I'm trying with an IE browser. My guess is it might be a browser
problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Steve W. Jackson

Regena said:
I am running a web based application. The application looks fine on an
ordinary monitor screen. but on a flat screen laptop the menu on the
right hand side gets cut off. Can anyone tell me what the problem might
be. I'm trying with an IE browser. My guess is it might be a browser
problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Seems to me that the best way to confirm whether it's an IE-specific
browser problem is to try it in some other browser.

Of course, it should be tried in other browsers anyway. Keep in mind
that many of us avoid IE like the plague. On my work system (WinXP), I
use IE only for my company timekeeping, and that only because it won't
work in any other browser because the company is Windows-centric. For
all other uses, I prefer Firefox. For all my personal computing, I
stolidly refuse to use Windows at all and stick to my Mac, where IE has
died. And the lesson we Mac users have learned is that far too few of
those developing web pages, applets, or anything else don't bother
testing on any other browser or platform.

= Steve =

bugbear

Regena said:
I am running a web based application. The application looks fine on an
ordinary monitor screen. but on a flat screen laptop the menu on the
right hand side gets cut off. Can anyone tell me what the problem might
be.

I'll bet it's either the browser or the screen size.

I don't think your software would know or care whether
display was CRT or TFT or plasma.

BugBear

Nigel Wade

Regena said:
I am running a web based application. The application looks fine on an
ordinary monitor screen. but on a flat screen laptop the menu on the
right hand side gets cut off. Can anyone tell me what the problem might
be. I'm trying with an IE browser. My guess is it might be a browser
problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

It's almost certainly the monitor, or the driver. Java will have no idea what
type of monitor is being used. Unless there is a fault in your code which
calculates how to display your menu at the right hand edge...

Check that the monitor hasn't been setup so that the right hand edge of the
display isn't being clipped by being off the edge of the monitor. If there is
an "auto" setup for the monitor, try using that.