    these posts). Can you please comment or add a site disclaimer?

    Ta,

    Roy
    Roy Schestowitz, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Roy Schestowitz

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Re: Message ID Alias?

    __/ [Toby Inkster] on Thursday 01 September 2005 21:14 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> However, doesn't that 'scrape' Google content in the sense that it
    >> encapsulates it in a frame?

    > http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl...URL

    Yes, I know. I even mentioned this before, remember? *smile*

    Either way, I am happy to have discovered your stance on the issue. As far
    as I can recall, you only acted unaware with a wise answer like "PageRank
    propagation? Really?".

    It will not prevent me from spreading yet more message-id's around the Net.
    I hope you can enhance some of the features though, e.g.

    o allow a tinyurl/snipurl/makeaurlshort type-of-service to be used at the
    front page. It would be nice to construct even smaller aliases without
    departing from message-id.net, e.g. message-id.net/&000001 (not secure, but
    just an example) pointing to
    http://message-id.net/deu8eh$5me$ .

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 74572E8E
    Roy Schestowitz, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Roy Schestowitz

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Re: Message ID Alias?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > allow a tinyurl/snipurl/makeaurlshort type-of-service to be used at the
    > front page.

    I have actually been thinking along those lines.

    Though not using random numbers like:

    http://message-id.net/3463456345

    but more like:

    http://message-id.net/*alt_www_webmaster_faq

    Not sure about the asterisk there. Needs to be some character which is
    invalid as part of a Message-ID header, but valid in URLs.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 2, 2005
  5. Roy Schestowitz

    Els Guest

    Re: Message ID Alias?

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > http://message-id.net/*alt_www_webmaster_faq
    >
    > Not sure about the asterisk there. Needs to be some character which is
    > invalid as part of a Message-ID header, but valid in URLs.

    Question- or exclamation mark?
    Plus?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Sep 2, 2005
  6. Re: Message ID with mySQL?

    __/ [Toby Inkster] on Friday 02 September 2005 08:47 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> allow a tinyurl/snipurl/makeaurlshort type-of-service to be used at the
    >> front page.

    > I have actually been thinking along those lines.
    >
    > Though not using random numbers like:
    >
    > http://message-id.net/3463456345
    >
    > but more like:
    >
    > http://message-id.net/*alt_www_webmaster_faq
    >
    > Not sure about the asterisk there. Needs to be some character which is
    > invalid as part of a Message-ID header, but valid in URLs.

    Does "alt_www_webmaster_faq" correspond to a subject line, as in a slug? If
    so, you need to make sure duplicates are prevented (re-use from WordPress
    slug assignment). Perhaps starting with something more shallow and
    fundamental would be good. _However_, make sure you do not break older
    links if/when the conventions change. Maybe just retain a flexible table
    (not worrying about lookup efficiency for the time being) and accommodate
    it with aliases.

    One thing you could also do, for example, is rely on query speed in mySQL
    and just toss aliases at it, e.g. ADD to $table VALUES $slug $address $date

    You then just write a few scripts (or script) that can simply pull out the
    physical (well, not truly /physical/) address and redirect to it. It should
    all be transparent to the user.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue
    "http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 74572E8E
    Roy Schestowitz, Sep 2, 2005
  7. Roy Schestowitz

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Re: Message ID with mySQL?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > _However_, make sure you do not break older links if/when the
    > conventions change.

    Hence the asterisk (or some other character that will do the job). It's
    not valid in a real Message-ID, so any URLs that start with
    "http://message-id.net/*" will be assumed to be aliases.

    > One thing you could also do, for example, is rely on query speed in
    > mySQL and just toss aliases at it, e.g. ADD to $table VALUES $slug
    > $address $date

    MySQL? No, ta. PostgreSQL with suitable indexing.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 2, 2005