Metadata file could not be found

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by john, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. john

    john Guest

    I am occasionally getting a strange error when deploying an asp.net
    assembly to a \bin directory in our production environment.

    CSC0006: Metadata file xxxxx could not be found.

    We then have to run around drain stopping web servers and bouncing IIS
    throughout the farm, and this seems to fix the problem. It seems to
    be completely random as to which machine seems to be causing the
    problem, and I'm not sure how to determine which one it is before
    taking the above action. Maybe we could look at the application event
    log, but that's not the real issue here.

    Here's a little background: We have six web servers in the production
    farm. Our development environment is a single web server, and our
    staging environment is a two web server cluster. We have never
    experienced this problem in development or staging. The assembly is
    not strong named and therefore doesn't reside in the GAC, but instead
    in the local \bin directory along with a few other assemblies that are
    referenced by the main application assembly. The reason we have not
    placed the assembly in the GAC is because I think that I remember
    reading that if an assembly is updated or changed often, it is easier
    to have it in the local \bin directory. Also, and I may be wrong
    about this, but at some point in time we may need different
    applications to reference different versions of the shared assembly,
    and I don't think that is possible if it is located in the GAC.

    Now, this problem does not occur every time we push the code to
    production, it kind of seems to depend on the time of day (i.e. the
    number of users currently on the site). If we do it in the middle of
    the night, no problems, but if done early in the day, I'd say we have
    about a 50/50 chance. Microsoft Application Center 2000 does our load
    balancing and synchronizations, and I was wondering if there is
    anything special we need to be doing here. Again, our staging
    environment uses app center as well, and there has never been a
    problem there. I'm kind of at a loss, and any help would be
    appreciated. What ever happened to xcopy deployment?

    Thanks,
    John

    john, Feb 25, 2004