CS0006: Metadata file "../bin/WebApplication1.dll" could not be found

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Doe, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Hi,

    I've got the following error when building my ASP.NET application called
    WebApplication1:

    Preparing resources...
    Updating references...
    Performing main compilation...
    error CS0006: Metadata file
    'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\bin\WebApplication1.dll' could not be
    found
    Build complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings

    I cannot Rebuild the whole application, just Build seems to work. My
    breakpoints are not hit all the time in the debugger and I suspect something
    is really wrong with the build. Therefore, I do need to rebuild the whole
    solution.

    In the Solution Explorer I see a reference to webapplication1 - I imagine
    this is normal, although I don't perfectly understand my WebApplication1
    project has a reference to itself...

    I've been looking on the web for possible solutions, but the only thing I
    found had something to do with gacutil, which I think doesn't apply in my
    case. WebApplication1.dll does not exist in the bin directory when I try to
    rebuild (being the cause of the error), so how could I register it in the
    GAC? And would I then have to update the GAC everytime my assembly changes?

    Can somebody please help me out?

    Thank you.

    John Doe, Feb 11, 2005

  2. John Doe

    Scott Allen Guest

    Try removing the assembly reference to WebApplication1.dll and then
    rebuilding.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Feb 12, 2005

  3. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Thanks that seems to work, however is it safe to drop the reference
    completely, or is it worth restoring it now?

    John Doe, Feb 12, 2005
  4. John Doe

    Scott Allen Guest

    It is safe to drop the reference. A web app shouldn't have a reference
    to itself - that must have been a mistake when it made it into the
    project.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Feb 12, 2005
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    I didn't explicitly add the reference, it probably got added when I added my
    Web custom control to the Toolbox.
    It is quite common to add a toolbox item for custom controls implemented in
    your current application, which makes me think Visual Studio should have
    detected that.

    John Doe, Feb 12, 2005
  6. John Doe

    John Doe, Feb 12, 2005
  7. John Doe

    Scott Allen Guest

    Yes, by mistake I meant to say "one of those strange IDE moments".

    :)

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/