Microsoft's javascript doc downloadable?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Xah Lee, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Xah Lee, Aug 30, 2005

  2. Xah Lee

    RobG Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > is the Microsoft javascript doc downloadable?
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsoriJScript.asp

    Seems to me that is Microsoft's *JScript* reference.

    > or, is there some other downloadable complete javascript ref for
    > offline reading?

    Dunno about complete, but you can try here for downloadable JavaScript
    references:

    <URL:http://devedge-temp.mozilla.org/central/javascript/index_en.html>

    Links to the ECMAScript Language specification (ECMA-262 Edition 3) in
    PDF and Word formats:

    <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/js/language/>

    You can also poke around Sun (who now own 'JavaScript'), but likely
    everything you need is above.

    --
    Rob
    RobG, Aug 30, 2005

  3. Xah Lee

    Darkstar 3D Guest

    Darkstar 3D, Aug 30, 2005
  4. Xah Lee

    RobG Guest

    Darkstar 3D wrote:
    > Or this one from Sun & Netscape, which I consider much better than
    > Microsloth's since they co-authored the language.
    >
    > http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6409-10/contents.htm

    Worth noting that reference is for v1.3, the latest is v1.5.

    --
    Rob
    RobG, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Xah Lee

    Jim Davis Guest

    "RobG" <> wrote in message
    > Xah Lee wrote:
    >> is the Microsoft javascript doc downloadable?
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsoriJScript.asp

    > Seems to me that is Microsoft's *JScript* reference.

    True... but it's quite good and applicable nonetheless.

    They are VERY clear about which aspects of the language are standardized and
    which are not - and link to the appropriate standards.

    Really one of the best online documentation systems out there.

    Jim Davis
    Jim Davis, Aug 30, 2005
  6. Xah Lee

    Jim Davis Guest

    "Darkstar 3D" <> wrote in message
    > Or this one from Sun & Netscape, which I consider much better than
    > Microsloth's since they co-authored the language.
    >
    > http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6409-10/contents.htm

    In my experience those that author something are nearly always the worst
    people to document it... they assume too much. ;^)

    In any case while this documentatin is good its nowhere near as capable as
    the MS Library documentation (have you looked at it - it's quite
    impressive).

    However the documentation you've linked is much more task based which may be
    prefered by some people. While the MS documentation is heavily littered
    with examples it's strictly a language reference - it does little to help a
    novice find the tools needed to perform a task unless they already have a
    concept of the objects/features they'd need.

    Jim Davis
    Jim Davis, Aug 30, 2005
  7. Xah Lee

    Jim Davis Guest

    "Xah Lee" <> wrote in message

    is the Microsoft javascript doc downloadable?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsoriJScript.asp

    or, is there some other downloadable complete javascript ref for
    offline reading?

    I still like David Flanagan's book "JavaScript the Definitive Guide" by
    O'Reilly. The book is so very well-worth having in hard copy.

    The book is available in an online form via the (paid) O'Reilly "Safari"
    service. It's a pain, but you should be able to join, grab the book then
    unsubscribe. ;^)

    But if you can convince somebody else (your office for example) to pay for
    Safari it's really quite a nice service... although it could be much better
    (I really think that I should get online versions of my hardcopy books for
    free... but I understand the logistics of that are difficult).

    Jim Davis
    Jim Davis, Aug 30, 2005
  8. Xah Lee

    Guest

    , Aug 31, 2005
  9. Xah Lee

    Darkstar 3D Guest

    Darkstar 3D, Aug 31, 2005
  10. Xah Lee

    papushka Guest

    Sure...

    install the scripting documentation,
    then you have a chm file in the installed path,
    copy it, trash it, re-compile it or print it 7000 copies :)

    good luck

    the link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

    ---

    "Xah Lee" <> wrote in message

    is the Microsoft javascript doc downloadable?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsoriJScript.asp

    or, is there some other downloadable complete javascript ref for
    offline reading?

    Xah

    ? http://xahlee.org/
    papushka, Sep 5, 2005