Mobile phone java coding, connections

foldface

Hi
I'm replacing my antiquated mobile phone for something newer soon.
I want my new phone to have java so I can code for it and I want
information on the delivery mechanism.
I gather you get get java programs via wap sites but I would ideally
like to compile a program and transfer it from my pc for free, so via
a usb wire or similiar. Is this possible?
I don't know much about the makes of phones and accesability either,
are some phones easier to code for in terms of delivery?

I need general info here, I can get info on cldc and midp myself
but I know nothing about delivery mechanisms, can someone get me
past the hello world stage?
Last bit of emphasis, I know I can do it via wap but I want to do
it via a wire.

Ta

Rob Shepherd

Hi
I'm replacing my antiquated mobile phone for something newer soon.
I want my new phone to have java so I can code for it and I want
information on the delivery mechanism.
I gather you get get java programs via wap sites but I would ideally
like to compile a program and transfer it from my pc for free, so via
a usb wire or similiar. Is this possible?

You should easily be able to do this via serial cable, IrDa infra red or Bluetooth.

I reckon the Nokia Suite of software will let you transfer the Midlets to nokia phones.
I don't know much about the makes of phones and accesability either,
are some phones easier to code for in terms of delivery?

I need general info here, I can get info on cldc and midp myself
but I know nothing about delivery mechanisms, can someone get me
past the hello world stage?

System.out.println("Hello again, World"); ? ? ?
Last bit of emphasis, I know I can do it via wap but I want to do
it via a wire.

Ta

Rob

Darryl L. Pierce

Hi
I'm replacing my antiquated mobile phone for something newer soon.
I want my new phone to have java so I can code for it and I want
information on the delivery mechanism.
I gather you get get java programs via wap sites but I would ideally
like to compile a program and transfer it from my pc for free, so via
a usb wire or similiar. Is this possible?

It depends on the handset. For example, my phone (Motorola V400) uses a
datacable and proprietary software to do tethered provisioning. I can also
download via a website. I've also had Nokia phones that allowed irDA
deployment as well as USB deployment. It really depends on what the handset
itself provides.

foldface

"> It depends on the handset. For example, my phone (Motorola V400) uses a
datacable and proprietary software to do tethered provisioning. I can also
download via a website. I've also had Nokia phones that allowed irDA
deployment as well as USB deployment. It really depends on what the handset
itself provides.

Exactly, so the questions become:
- do all mobile phones have a datacable and software or just some?
- How much would this cost (for the cable and software)?
- would the salesman have a clue what I was asking for if I asked for it?
(expecting not for the last thing)

I don't want to buy a phone then discover it cann't do it.

Thanks

sime

Exactly, so the questions become:
- do all mobile phones have a datacable and software or just some?

ask a salesmen
- How much would this cost (for the cable and software)?

ask a salesman
- would the salesman have a clue what I was asking for if I asked for it?
(expecting not for the last thing)

if(salesman == programmer)
they would know
else
they dont know

I don't want to buy a phone then discover it cann't do it.

-sime

Franz Bayer

Hi

The most important thing for a mobile is to have the right java-apis.
Most Mobiles have a serial port but no java api for it, thus it is not
accessible from inside java.
Best would be to search the JSRs and then look in developer pages, if those
apis are supported.
Best you register at www.benhui.net

Good phones (not smartphones) are at the moment motorola v525, nokia 6600.
(Bluetooth for instance: JSR-82 with(!!!) OBEX)
Without OBEX extremelly difficult, believe me

But still there are a lot of restrictions inside the j2me versions of this
phones.
CLDC 1.0 fo instance does not support floating point operations.But CLDC 1.1
does.

Hello world:

Not just System.out.println.

You need to create a MIDlet (no main) and use the stream of the midlet. Best
you search for some tutorials by yourself.

/franz

Darryl L. Pierce

"> It depends on the handset. For example, my phone (Motorola V400) uses a

Exactly, so the questions become:
- do all mobile phones have a datacable and software or just some?

Not all. Some.
- How much would this cost (for the cable and software)?

Depends on the handset. Some USB cables for Motorola devices are $65, some
are $15. It depends on the device.
- would the salesman have a clue what I was asking for if I asked for it?
(expecting not for the last thing)

Probably not. Remember a basic rule when dealing with salesmen: they don't
have a clue about the technology. They only know the main selling points
and not the implications. Never depend on them for real information. The
one who sold me my first datacable assured me it was the right one. It
wasn't.

Steven J Sobol

Franz Bayer said:
Hi

The most important thing for a mobile is to have the right java-apis.

Are you sure about that? We're just talking about provisioning and installing
an app to a J2ME-enabled phone using a data cable instead of over-the-air
provisioning. Maybe I'm missing something, but where do the Java APIs
enter the picture?