    who can then take care of the transfer.

    Regards

    Zahoor
    Zahoor, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Zahoor wrote:

    > I need to know whethere it is possible to transfer data from one
    > mobile phone to other mobile phone in such that scenario that one
    > mobile phone call the other mobile phone , assume that data line are
    > supported on the line and then
    > transfer the data, Can I have J2ME application running at both the
    > mobile phone
    > who can then take care of the transfer.

    There are limitations to your requirements which you need to be made aware
    of.

    First, with mobile phones, not all will support IP nor will they all have
    routable address or even external addresses, and rarely static IP
    addresses. To overcome this, a better solution for the mobile market is to
    use the Wireless Messaging API (WMA).

    With this solution comes the second problem, not all MIDP 1.0 phones have
    the WMA available. MIDP 2.0 phones will have them, but those phones are
    just now starting to trickle onto the market (most notably the Motorola
    i730).

    With the WMA, you can send data between mobiles using SMS as the carrier
    protocol for the data. Since your mobile number doesn't change (but your IP
    address can change if you have one on your handset) this is the better
    alternative, IMO.

    With the WMA, you can register your MIDlet on the device to listen on a
    specific SMS port. When a message arrives on the device addressed to that
    port, the MIDlet is notified of the data. And, better still, if the MIDlet
    is not currently active, the mobile will *START* the MIDlet so it can
    process the data (of course, it will first ask the user and, if the user
    declines starting the MIDlet, the mobile will hold the data until later).

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
    Darryl L. Pierce, Nov 15, 2003