Mobile Phone to Mobile Phone Data Transfer

Zahoor

Hi,

I need to know whethere it is possible to transfer data from one
mobile phone to other mobile phone in such that scenario that one
mobile phone call the other mobile phone , assume that data line are
supported on the line and then
transfer the data, Can I have J2ME application running at both the
mobile phone
who can then take care of the transfer.

Regards

Zahoor

Darryl L. Pierce

Zahoor said:
I need to know whethere it is possible to transfer data from one
mobile phone to other mobile phone in such that scenario that one
mobile phone call the other mobile phone , assume that data line are
supported on the line and then
transfer the data, Can I have J2ME application running at both the
mobile phone
who can then take care of the transfer.

There are limitations to your requirements which you need to be made aware
of.

First, with mobile phones, not all will support IP nor will they all have
routable address or even external addresses, and rarely static IP
addresses. To overcome this, a better solution for the mobile market is to
use the Wireless Messaging API (WMA).

With this solution comes the second problem, not all MIDP 1.0 phones have
the WMA available. MIDP 2.0 phones will have them, but those phones are
just now starting to trickle onto the market (most notably the Motorola
i730).

With the WMA, you can send data between mobiles using SMS as the carrier
protocol for the data. Since your mobile number doesn't change (but your IP
address can change if you have one on your handset) this is the better
alternative, IMO.

With the WMA, you can register your MIDlet on the device to listen on a
specific SMS port. When a message arrives on the device addressed to that
port, the MIDlet is notified of the data. And, better still, if the MIDlet
is not currently active, the mobile will *START* the MIDlet so it can
process the data (of course, it will first ask the user and, if the user
declines starting the MIDlet, the mobile will hold the data until later).