(Modular-)Application Framework / Rich-Client-Platform in Python

Stef Mientki

Jarek said:
Stef Mientki napisa³(a):

I think you miss the difference between Eclipse IDE and Eclipse
Platform. The IDE is and application built using RCP. As Azureus or
RSSOwl, which aren't IDE-type applications. One of the tutorials
mentioned int the RCP wiki takes user through creating an email client
application, which is not an IDE, definitely. Eclipse RCP allows
building applications as a set of pluggable features over common
runtime. While not a "mark-and-drop" solution yet, it's a great leap
forward in Java desktop applications.

There's more to Eclipse that just IDE. ;)
Sorry, I don't get the difference between an IDE and RPC.
If I look at the demo of the "email client" you mentioned,
(and I don't understand a bit of Java),
I see a very complex story (at least for me).

Is there an easy possibility that I can see the "email client" you mentioned,
working on my computer,
so I can judge how I would create the same functionality in one of the other IDE's,
maybe then I get the picture.

thanks,
Stef Mientki

Wildemar Wildenburger

Ben said:
You already have Python, and can embed it in your program. The only
missing piece seems to be the primitive operations at the core, which
surely depend on what exactly it is you have in mind for your program
and can't really be provided in a generic form by some other party.
That's where you're wrong. Such a tool exists. I really can't explain
any better than I (and Jarek even better so) already did. The keyword is
Rich-Client-Platform. Wikipedia explains it, so does the already
presented Eclipse-wiki, as does the Enthought Tools Site (specifically
Envisage), which also holds the answer to my problem/question. It is
solved. If you don't understand what I want, go to <URL:
http://code.enthought.com/ets/> and read what it does.

I really, really appreciate the effort you (all of you) make in helping
me and getting me on the right track, but I'm a bit confounded by how
you can be trying to convince me that the tools I'm currently reading
the docs for don't exist.

I don't mean to be bitching, really. I just don't get your point here.

:)

Ben Finney

Wildemar Wildenburger said:
I really, really appreciate the effort you (all of you) make in
helping me and getting me on the right track, but I'm a bit
confounded by how you can be trying to convince me that the tools
I'm currently reading the docs for don't exist.

I think most of us never really understood what you were looking
for. Your descriptions were quite vague, and the websites you pointed
to seemed to assume a great deal of understanding about Eclipse. I
never got a handle on the features you wanted, so I presented my "as I
understand it, you already have what you want"-type conclusions to
prompt you for better descriptions of the problem.

I'm glad you were able to find a solution to whatever problem it is
you're trying to solve -- good luck with that :)