    except that they are a place where you can centeralize all of your code for
    use in more than 1 application. Where would I start out with this? I was
    told I should use WCF web services over the other types. Why is this?

    Andy B, Jun 18, 2008

  2. Hello Andy,

    AB> I have several tasks that my web applications need to do. They are
    AB> managing membership, News, Events, Legal forms for admin, Legal
    AB> forms for customers, audio and maybe a few other things here and
    AB> there. A lot of these things will be used in more than 1 web
    AB> application. I am trying to centeralize everything into as much
    AB> reusable code as possible. What I need to know is: Do I take these
    AB> different tasks and break them down into different web services?

    it depends how and where these task are used - single machine or different,
    who is using them, do they have the same rights

    AB> use different classes in the web service for each task? How exactly
    AB> does hhis work?

    You should consider this by "why I want to split them" ?! for the sake of
    what?!

    AB> Can WCF web services use datasets and other kinds of
    AB> data manipulation/storage related objects? and can you use the
    AB> default asp.net or your own defined membership provider in a
    AB> web.config file to manage membership in a web service?

    yep

    ---
    WBR,
    Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Jun 18, 2008

  3. Andy B

    Andy B Guest

    >AB> I have several tasks that my web applications need to do. They are
    >AB> managing membership, News, Events, Legal forms for admin, Legal
    >AB> forms for customers, audio and maybe a few other things here and
    >AB> there. A lot of these things will be used in more than 1 web
    >AB> application. I am trying to centeralize everything into as much
    >AB> reusable code as possible. What I need to know is: Do I take these
    >AB> different tasks and break them down into different web services?
    >it depends how and where these task are used - single machine or different,

    The same web server with different web applications. There is a little
    possibility that a client windows application will be built to be used from
    a remote computer.

    >who is using them,

    The website admin For the administration of legal forms for admin, News,
    events, audio and partially the legal forms for customers. The customers
    will use it for the legal forms for customers. The rest of it like
    membership/profile providers would be used by the internal web application
    system to provide access to these different parts.

    >do they have the same rights

    Can you explain what you mean more by having the same rights? If you mean
    having the same access rights to the different sections of the web
    applications and if they have control over the data stores being used, I
    would imagine that each WCF service in the WCF service project would be
    restricted to its own data store and the access to things would be limmited
    to what they individually would need in order to get their jobs done. For an
    example, the Audio service would not need to know what is going on with the
    services for legal forms. Using the Audio service example, It would need
    access to a database with membership provider, its own database to store
    audio related information and it would need to have access to the app_data
    folder of the project that makes use of the audio service. This means that
    the Audio service most likely would need access to the Membership service to
    determine if the admin was loged in or not. This is nowhere an extensive
    layout, but is a good example of one of the service requirements. Actually,
    most of the services I would need would probably need access to multiple
    locations on the solution like the audio example.

    >AB> use different classes in the web service for each task? How exactly
    >AB> does hhis work?
    >You should consider this by "why I want to split them" ?!

    Just trying to be more organized with the code. Why would you want methods
    for an Audio service located in a membership service? Well, ok not the best
    example, will try this again. Why would you want to mix methods for the
    Audio service with the methods from the News or events services? They are
    totally unrelated for one, and it makes it easier for me to know what
    service/section of the service to jump to if they are divided into multiple
    services.

    >for the sake of what?!

    What do you mean by this? See abovwe. Unless there are too many
    risks/performance problems with dividing the services up into each task
    type...Let me know if there are any?

    >AB> Can WCF web services use datasets and other kinds of
    >AB> data manipulation/storage related objects? and can you use the
    >AB> default asp.net or your own defined membership provider in a
    >AB> web.config file to manage membership in a web service?
    >
    >yep

    I had a huntch you could but figured I would ask first.

    ---

    Andy B, Jun 18, 2008
  4. Hello Andy,

    AB> The same web server with different web applications. There is a
    AB> little possibility that a client windows application will be built
    AB> to be used from a remote computer.
    AB>
    >> who is using them,
    >>

    AB> The website admin For the administration of legal forms for admin,
    AB> News, events, audio and partially the legal forms for customers. The
    AB> customers will use it for the legal forms for customers. The rest of
    AB> it like membership/profile providers would be used by the internal
    AB> web application system to provide access to these different parts.

    well, so it's role-based system

    >> do they have the same rights
    >>

    AB> project would be restricted to its own data store and the access to
    AB> things would be limmited to
    AB> For an example, the Audio service
    AB> would not need to know what is going on with the services for legal
    AB> forms. Using the Audio service example, It would need access to a
    AB> database with membership provider, its own database to store audio
    AB> related information and it would need to have access to the
    AB> app_data folder of the project that makes use of the audio service.

    It sounds that it's better to create different webservers, because it simplifies
    you the setting security for each of them

    >> You should consider this by "why I want to split them" ?!

    AB> Just trying to be more organized with the code. Why would you want
    AB> methods for an Audio service located in a membership service? Well,
    AB> ok not the best example, will try this again. Why would you want to
    AB> mix methods for the Audio service with the methods from the News or
    AB> events services? They are totally unrelated for one, and it makes it
    AB> easier for me to know what service/section of the service to jump to
    AB> if they are divided into multiple services.

    exactly. split them logically and extract common stuff to the separate assembly
    shared amont them

    AB> What do you mean by this? See abovwe. Unless there are too many
    AB> risks/performance problems with dividing the services up into each
    AB> task type...Let me know if there are any?

    if you are not going to end up with the 100 webservices I wouldn't consider
    performace issues there

    ---

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Jun 18, 2008
  5. Andy B

    Andy B Guest

    So, the basic conclusion is that it would be best probably to create a WCF
    service project and create different services in that project for each task
    that the web applications need to complete... Just making sure I get the
    final line before starting...

    Andy B, Jun 18, 2008