Moving a project from my local machine to a development web server

John Holmes

I've written an asp.net application on my local machine and would now like
to continue to develop the application in a different location on our
development web server on the intranet with all the debugging capabilities
that I've had on my local machine. I was thinking I could do a save as at
the project level, but haven't had luck with that. I tried creating a
directory/virtual directory and copying the files but have had problems
doing that as well. Please let me know if there's any suggestions for doing
this.

Thanks,

John Holmes

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

u only need to move the entire project. then you would need to use the open
from web option on studio's file menu. this allows you to open and run the
project. if you need debugability, you will have to run inetmgr and
configure the new directory as a virtual directory. what problems are you
having?

John Holmes

I get the following error when I try what you suggest:

Unable to open Web project 'PhoneDirectory'. Unable to validate that the
file path
"\\Webtestmv2\AspNetTestSite\Internal\SiteRoot\Apps\Facilities\Phone'
matches the URL path 'http://Webtestmv2:/PhoneDirectory'. Access is denied.

I can run the application on the website after copying the files over there,
I just can't open the project from Visual Studio.

John

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
John Holmes said:
I've written an asp.net application on my local machine and would now like
to continue to develop the application in a different location on our
development web server on the intranet with all the debugging capabilities
that I've had on my local machine. I was thinking I could do a save as at
the project level, but haven't had luck with that. I tried creating a
directory/virtual directory and copying the files but have had problems
doing that as well. Please let me know if there's any suggestions for
doing
this.

Thanks,

John Holmes

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

do you have at least the minimum required permissions to read/write the
directory?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney