Mozilla modal dialogs

Emma

Hi, I didn't know whether it was best to post this here or on a
mozilla-specific newsgroup, but I figured that you have all helped me
in the past, so this is a good place to start.

I have trawled the newsgroups for information on opening a modal
dialog in Mozilla. I am using Mozilla 1.6 and have found that the
following piece of code should work:-

var w = window.open('http://www.hotmail.com', '_blank', 'modal');

but it doesn't do anything other than open the new window on the top
rather than the bottom of the parent window.

I don't just want to prevent people from clicking on, or using the
parent window... actually want to prevent further processing of the
script in the parent window until the user has closed the newly
spawned window.

Can anyone tell me how to do this???

Thanks, Emma.

Martin Honnen

Emma said:
I have trawled the newsgroups for information on opening a modal
dialog in Mozilla. I am using Mozilla 1.6 and have found that the
following piece of code should work:-

var w = window.open('http://www.hotmail.com', '_blank', 'modal');

No, it shouldn't work (meaning it shouldn't open a modal dialog window),
some Mozilla releases ago the implementation of window.open was changed
to no longer support the 'modal' feature as that caused serious problems
on some platforms (LINUX I think) where the modal dialog blocked the
whole browser application.
So with Mozilla script in a HTML page loaded via http no longer has a
way to open a modal window.