    custom modal windows.
    Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

    Thanks...

    John Kotuby, May 3, 2007

  2. John Kotuby

    RobG Guest

    On May 3, 9:30 am, "John Kotuby" <> wrote:
    > Hi all...
    >
    > I am bulding an application and wish to use custom Modal dialog windows.

    For cross-browser support, build them using HTML elements.

    > According to a couple of recent articles I have seen, the newer Mozilla
    > browsers (actually I think they said Netscape) supported syntax like :
    >
    > window.open(URL ,"diagwin","modal=1, width=30");

    Try:

    [...]
    > I assumed that since Firefox is a modern browser that it would support
    > custom modal windows.

    You assume that support for modal windows is a sign of modernity.

    --
    Rob

    RobG, May 3, 2007

  3. John Kotuby

    -Lost Guest

    Gérard Talbot wrote:
    > 2- there should be no blank space separating window features in the 3rd
    > parameter of the function called.
    > wrong: "modal=1, width=30"
    > correct: "modal=1,width=30"
    >
    > " strWindowFeatures
    > Optional parameter. This parameter is the string which lists the
    > requested window features (window functionalities and toolbars) of the
    > new browser window. This string parameter must not contain any blank
    > space. Each requested window feature must be separated by a comma inside
    > the character string."
    > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open#Syntax

    Thanks Gérard, as per usual, great information. I actually did not know
    that strWindowFeatures

    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open#Return_value_and_parameters

    ....was not supposed to contain blank spaces. I have always used blank
    spaces with no error. Are there any known issues where using additional
    spaces causes problems?

    Pointless (as most of my information requests are), but I was just
    curious. I know in the future to not use extraneous whitespace.

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.

    -Lost, May 4, 2007
  4. John Kotuby

    John Kotuby Guest

    Thank you all for the education. Now that I understand how modality presents
    a security risk it makes sense that the newer browsers require special
    priviledges for its use. The links to the articles are greatly appreciated.
    Sometimes finding the right documentation can be the most difficult part of
    development.

    I may choose another route, possibly using a visibility=hidden (or lower
    z-order?) <div> or some other element that will appear when necessary, and
    process everything inside the same window. It seems that cross-browser
    compatibility is still an issue after all these years of browser evolution
    and W3C standards.

    John Kotuby, May 4, 2007