MS Access Scripting?

Leslie Coover

I want to script real-time data FROM financial Web sites TO an MS Access db.
on a PC (no server issues).

Is this possible?

If so what should I use ASP VBScript, ASP.NET VB or something else, and
could you point me to possible resources that will help me learn how to do
this?

Thanks!

Evertjan.

Leslie Coover wrote on 26 okt 2006 in
I want to script real-time data FROM financial Web sites TO an MS
Access db. on a PC (no server issues).

Is this possible?
Yes.

If so what should I use ASP VBScript, ASP.NET VB or something else,
and could you point me to possible resources that will help me learn
how to do this?

ASP only works with a server, be it remote or local.

So your Q is off topic.

Anthony Jones

Leslie Coover said:
I want to script real-time data FROM financial Web sites TO an MS Access db.
on a PC (no server issues).

The keyword here that needs explorering before you make any technology
decisions is 'real-time'.
What do mean by 'real-time'? Are you expecting to somehow retrieve an
update from these web sites when changes are made or are you going to poll
them looking for the latest data?

Leslie Coover

It would need to update only once, each time the application is opened.
Continuous
updating not necessary.

I know the word "scripting" is a very general word in IT, I may be misusing
it.

Is there one scripting language that you would recommend that would work

with MS Access (i.e., Visual Basic) to create interconnectivity to remote

Web sites, somewhat like the relationship between HTML and JavaScript?

Thanks!

Anthony Jones

Leslie Coover said:
It would need to update only once, each time the application is opened.
Continuous
updating not necessary.

I know the word "scripting" is a very general word in IT, I may be misusing
it.

Is there one scripting language that you would recommend that would work

with MS Access (i.e., Visual Basic) to create interconnectivity to remote

Web sites, somewhat like the relationship between HTML and JavaScript?

How about doing it from with in MS Access using it's native VBA. Use the
MSXML2.DOMDocument or MSXML2.XMLHTTP object to fetch the data when you open
the DB.

Firas S Assaad

Hi,
I would recomend Anthony Jones's solution. To me its the best way.
I have done this a lot, using ASP/VBScript and Visual Basic 6,
especially when i needed to gather data from miltiple places and into
one place as a report.

If you decide to do such thing, i will be happy to provide you with
some examples.

Best Regards
Firas S Assaad

Jeff

Firas S Assaad said:
Hi,
I would recomend Anthony Jones's solution. To me its the best way.
I have done this a lot, using ASP/VBScript and Visual Basic 6,
especially when i needed to gather data from miltiple places and into
one place as a report.

If you decide to do such thing, i will be happy to provide you with
some examples.

Best Regards
Firas S Assaad

along this same subject.... is it possible to obtain an XML feed from any
site or server?
or should i say create one??

Jeff

thanks. that makes things interesting. can you lead me in the correct
direction as to how to do this?
like a good site to get started with XML.

i am trying to get some stats i have for a non profit fantasy league to
update, and this would be most helpful

Anthony Jones

Jeff said:
thanks. that makes things interesting. can you lead me in the correct
direction as to how to do this?
like a good site to get started with XML.

i am trying to get some stats i have for a non profit fantasy league to
update, and this would be most helpful

http://www.w3schools.com/

Anthony Jones

Firas S Assaad said:
this site might not help directly as w3schools, but you can find nice
examples there
www.planet-source-code.com

There are zillions of sites like the above giving specific 'how to'
examples. However Jeff really needs a starting from scratch 'I know
nothing' sort of introduction to XML. I haven't come across a site that
even comes close to w3schools for that purpose.