    Is there a way to generate Java classes files that can be run both the
    MS JVM and Sun JVM?

    Thanks in advance.

    Young-Jin Lee, Jan 20, 2004

  2. "Young-Jin Lee" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Hi, I have a question about the MS JVM and Sun JVM.
    | Is there a way to generate Java classes files that can be run
    both the
    | MS JVM and Sun JVM?

    I do not know. If you use MS 'cab'(?)
    format it may not. Otherwise it should be
    OK if you compile your _current_ code
    using the -target 1.1 flag when compiling..

    But you _could_ start your code in the
    far superior Sun JVM, but have the
    JavaVersionApplet in the background
    to redirect to the older version in the
    event that the Sun JVM is not installed.
    http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Young-Jin Lee

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Is the update problem similar to: http://segal.org/java/ReDisplay/ or
    http://segal.org/java/tooltip2/?

    > First of all, if I compile the source code that only uses JVM 1.0.2
    > code with the latest Sun's JVM, the generated class file can be run
    > with the MS JVM?
    >
    > Is there a way to generate Java classes files that can be run both the
    > MS JVM and Sun JVM?

    Pure Java 1.0.2 should run on both the Sun and Microsoft JVMs, with possible
    exception of some deprecated classes. However, using a Java 2 environment
    one would need to set some flag to generate Java 1.0 compatible code. Using
    Java 1.0 or 1.1 programming tools this would be automatic.

    Most people have given up on Java 1.0. Those who wish to continue to
    support the Microsoft JVM tend to choose 1.1.4 as their lowest common
    denominator.

    Mickey Segal, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Young-Jin Lee

    Mickey Segal Guest