MSI Installer Problem: can't install 2.4a2 on new install of Win2kSP2

Discussion in 'Python' started by Richard Hanson, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Over the last few days, I reinstalled Win2kSP2 to a spare harddrive I
    had just swapped into my Fujitsu LifeBook P1120 (long story <wink>).
    Subsequently, I DL'ed the newest Python alpha (2.4a2), and when trying
    to install it, I immediately got this error:

    This installation package cannot be installed by the
    Windows Installer service. You must install a
    Windows service pack that contains a newer version
    of the Windows Installer service.

    (Python 2.4a2 had been working on the LifeBook P1120 before the crash
    and subsequent reinstall.)

    I immediately tried installing Python 2.4a2 on my older, HP laptop,
    and that went fine.

    I then went back to the Python alpha page and DL'ed the ~1.8MB file
    linked from MS's site. After running the new DL from MS, the Python
    MSI installer seemed to run.

    However, now Idle wouldn't run, although the Python command line
    (console) worked. I tried running Idle using Windows Explorer from
    inside my Python installation at:

    E:\Python24\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw (and idle.py)

    but those didn't work, either. (E:\ is my Win2k partition and it's a
    FAT32 partition.)

    I then checked the new 2.4a2 install on the older HP laptop, and there
    Idle worked -- from the menu shortcuts, and from launching the
    idle.pyw file in Windows Explorer.

    (I note that the HP laptop already had Python23 on it. The HP has
    *almost* the same OS: Win2kSP3 -- not a fresh install -- and is using
    NTFS for its Win2k partition.)

    I also note that the *.pyc files were not created by the installer on
    the Fujitsu LifeBook P1120 but were on the HP Omnibook 900B (as may be
    surmised).

    Back on the P1120, I used the MSI installer to "repair" the broken
    install twice, used it again to completely remove Python, rebooted
    <wink>, and then use the MSI installer one more time to reinstall.
    Still no go.

    Am I overlooking something simple...?

    Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

    (I'll try to followup as this gets solved -- I've reinstalled onto an
    old harddrive, so I may crash again... :) )

    I'll-keep-at-it-and-try-DL'ing-2.3.4-tonight'ly y'rs
    Richard

    --
    email works if unmunged:
    sick<PERI0D>ole<P0INT>fart<PIE_DEC0_SYNTAX>newsguy<MARK>com

    Richard Hanson, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Richard Hanson

    drs Guest

    "Richard Hanson" <> wrote in message

    > Am I overlooking something simple...?

    How about SP3, or even 4?

    drs, Aug 25, 2004

  3. "drs" wrote:

    >"Richard Hanson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Am I overlooking something simple...?

    >How about SP3, or even 4?

    That's a thought. But, as I alluded to in my somewhat lengthy post,
    2.4a2 worked with this OEM Win2kSP2 *before* the installation "died"
    last Friday.

    I have an SP3 CD, so that's doable; I'm on a slightly flaky dialup, so
    DL'ing SP4 would be a bit... uh... uncomfortable. :)

    Also, isn't there the general feeling that Win2kSP2 is about as good
    as Windows gets (got)? (Aside from the EULA issues; just on the
    technical merits?)

    Thanks for the idea, though -- much appreciated. I may well try SP3 if
    I remain at an impasse.

    PS to original post: Further testing shows that the Python command
    line (console) is broken, too. Some things sorta work (e.g., "import
    sys"); most don't (e.g., "import decimal").

    Python-withdrawals-are-painfully y'rs,
    Richard

    Richard Hanson, Aug 25, 2004
  4. Following up:

    After a couple of tries this afternoon, I managed to DL Python 2.3.4
    and installed it -- Idle ran and seemed to be normal.

    (I thought I would do a quick "test" before posting so I did a "from
    test import testall" and got pages and pages of output from 2.3.4 --
    about 257kB's worth. <wink>)

    Anyway, Python 2.4a2 *still* does not install on my Fujitsu LifeBook
    P1120 with Win2kSP2 -- as described in my original post.

    So, still stumped.

    hard-to-count-the-ways-without-Decimal'ly y'rs,
    Richard

    Richard Hanson, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Re: MSI Installer Problem: can't install 2.4a2 on new install ofWin2kSP2

    Richard Hanson wrote:
    > This installation package cannot be installed by the
    > Windows Installer service. You must install a
    > Windows service pack that contains a newer version
    > of the Windows Installer service.

    The problem is what this message says: you need a newer
    version of Windows installer.

    > Also, isn't there the general feeling that Win2kSP2 is about as good
    > as Windows gets (got)?

    W2k itself is fine. However, W2k ships with Installer 1.1, W2kSP2
    updates that to Installer 1.11, W2kSP3 to Installer 2.0. The Python
    MSI file requires Installer 2.0.

    http://www.python.org/2.4/

    says

    # [...] double-click python-2.4a2.msi to find out if your machine
    # supports MSI. If it doesn't, you'll need to install Microsoft
    # Installer first. Many other packages (such as Word and Office) also
    # include MSI, so you may already have it on your system. If not, you
    # can download it freely from Microsoft for Windows 95, 98 and Me and
    # for Windows NT 4.0 and 2000

    You can find the download links on that page.

    If it used to work before the reinstallation, you either had a different
    service pack installed before, or some other software you had installed
    did a silent installation of a new installer release (such as Office
    2k).

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Martin,

    Thanks for replying.

    Still no go with the 2.4a2 install on my Fujitsu LifeBook P1120 with
    Win2kSP2.

    (I have much to learn in writing concise posts, alas -- I appreciate
    your patience.)

    Minding my own relative ignorance -- and your expertise -- with the
    MSI Installer, this morning I redownloaded the MSI Installer
    (filename: InstMsiW.exe, filesize: 1,822,848 bytes, version:
    2.0.2600.2) from MS using the link on the Python 2.4 page as you
    suggest (and as I'd already done yesterday as noted in my original,
    somewhat dense post).

    Today, I get the same file from MS as yesterday.

    Just in case, though, I ran the new download from MS yet again, and it
    said:

    "Error: The specified service already exists."

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:

    >If it used to work before the reinstallation, you either had a different
    >service pack installed before, or some other software you had installed
    >did a silent installation of a new installer release (such as Office
    >2k).

    I'm at a loss, still. Surely, something I had previously installed in
    my own prior installation silently installed something needed for the
    Python 2.4a2 install *other than the MSI Installer 2.0* and is
    currently missing from my reinstall...?

    I'll keep working on it and will report back as a solution develops.

    Thanks again, Martin -- much appreciate your and all the other
    developer's selfless contributions.

    I'm going to try to redownload the Python install file (mine is
    filesize: 10,691,072 bytes) even though it "seems" fine -- as I'm
    running out of ideas.

    Meanwhile, I *do* have Python 2.3.4 to play... er... *work* with (but
    I sorely miss Decimal <wink>).

    Best regards,
    Richard

    Richard Hanson, Aug 26, 2004
  7. Re: MSI Installer Problem: can't install 2.4a2 on new install ofWin2kSP2

    Richard Hanson wrote:
    > (I have much to learn in writing concise posts, alas -- I appreciate
    > your patience.)

    That is indeed the problem. I stopped reading after the first paragraph.
    I'm still uncertain whether you are talking about the original problem
    (failure to install the Python msi file), or about the second problem
    (MSI file installs fine, but IDLE fails to work) in this message.

    > I'm at a loss, still. Surely, something I had previously installed in
    > my own prior installation silently installed something needed for the
    > Python 2.4a2 install *other than the MSI Installer 2.0* and is
    > currently missing from my reinstall...?

    Why do you think so?

    > I'm going to try to redownload the Python install file (mine is
    > filesize: 10,691,072 bytes) even though it "seems" fine -- as I'm
    > running out of ideas.

    If the installation completed with the dialog stating it completed
    successfully, it probably did complete successfully indeed.
    If you still see a problem, it is likely that this problem is
    unrelated to the installation. However, I lost track as to what
    this problem might be, and how you have tried to narrow it down.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Aug 26, 2004
  8. Martin,

    I had just found a workaround for my immediate problem and was
    composing a post. Instead, I'll cut-and-paste as appropriate from that
    draft, interleaved herein.

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:

    >Richard Hanson wrote:
    >> (I have much to learn in writing concise posts, alas -- I appreciate
    >> your patience.)

    >That is indeed the problem. I stopped reading after the first paragraph.
    >I'm still uncertain whether you are talking about the original problem
    >(failure to install the Python msi file), or about the second problem
    >(MSI file installs fine, but IDLE fails to work) in this message.

    Sorry. I see now that I provided too much background detail getting to
    the story -- and didn't write clearly enough, to boot. (As it were.)

    The problem: The "python-2.4a2.msi" file appeared to install, but the
    install was broken -- IDLE failed to work, and the console was mostly
    broken.

    Platform: Dual-booting Win98SE and Win2kSP2 on Fujitsu laptop --
    primary OS is Win2k on the E: partition.

    >>[...] Surely, something I had previously installed in
    >> my own prior installation silently installed something needed for the
    >> Python 2.4a2 install *other than the MSI Installer 2.0* and is
    >> currently missing from my reinstall...?

    >Why do you think so?

    Well, I admit I was clutching at straws. And ignorance and frustration
    were probably making me too reckless with unwarranted assertions. :)

    Now, however, I have some new data (which has me even more confused):

    If I have a directory named "Python23" with *only* the immediate
    contents of "Lib" in it (no other files or directories nor any of
    Lib's sub-dirs) in a separate Win98 partition, then IDLE doesn't run.
    However, if I rename or move that dir inside another dir, then IDLE
    runs. I can move that subsetted Python23 dir back and forth between
    being hidden inside another dir and being in the root, without
    rebooting, and IDLE works or not, depending on the visibility of that
    very limited subset of the normal Python23 install directory.

    I've searched the registry for "Python23" and don't find any reference
    there.

    It's probably Just Another Windows Problem <wink>, but by now after
    fighting Windows installation problems for days -- my brain is mush.
    Further, I know virtually nothing about Python's guts.

    Perhaps my testing will help you or others ascertain if there even
    *is* a problem in general -- or, if there's just something wrong with
    my individual machine.

    For now, I will just uninstall Python from my Win98 partition.

    My apologies again, Martin, for my less-than-optimum posts. I do
    appreciate the busyness of the modern era, and I'm very grateful that
    folks like you are so willing to give of your valuable time.

    You have indeed helped by eliminating many blind alleys I could have
    gone down.

    Anyway, thanks much -- again.

    Best regards,
    Richard

    Richard Hanson, Aug 27, 2004
  9. Re: MSI Installer Problem: can't install 2.4a2 on new install ofWin2kSP2

    Richard Hanson wrote:
    > If I have a directory named "Python23" with *only* the immediate
    > contents of "Lib" in it (no other files or directories nor any of
    > Lib's sub-dirs) in a separate Win98 partition, then IDLE doesn't run.
    > However, if I rename or move that dir inside another dir, then IDLE
    > runs. I can move that subsetted Python23 dir back and forth between
    > being hidden inside another dir and being in the root, without
    > rebooting, and IDLE works or not, depending on the visibility of that
    > very limited subset of the normal Python23 install directory.

    Could it be that you have an environment variable PYTHONHOME or
    PYTHONPATH set?

    As for the console being mostly broken: what precisely does that mean?
    If you run cmd.exe, and start c:\python24\python.exe, what happens?
    What happens if you add a -v option to python.exe?

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Aug 27, 2004
  10. On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:56:07 -0700, Richard Hanson <>

    > If I have a directory named "Python23" with *only* the immediate
    > contents of "Lib" in it (no other files or directories nor any of
    > Lib's sub-dirs) in a separate Win98 partition, then IDLE doesn't run.
    > However, if I rename or move that dir inside another dir, then IDLE
    > runs. I can move that subsetted Python23 dir back and forth between
    > being hidden inside another dir and being in the root, without
    > rebooting, and IDLE works or not, depending on the visibility of that
    > very limited subset of the normal Python23 install directory.
    >
    > I've searched the registry for "Python23" and don't find any reference
    > there.

    Check for your search path definition(os.environ["PATH"]). It
    sounds like the W98 partition is being found before the full install
    directory, and as a result, it fails to locate some files...

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Aug 27, 2004
  11. Thanks to the guidance from Martin and Dennis, I *think* that my
    problem is finally at least fully worked around -- meaning Python
    2.3.4 on a separate Win98 partition can now coexist with Python 2.4a2
    on the Win2k partition. Booting into either OS and the respectively
    installed Python's IDLE now works.

    But, I had to pull "C:\Python23" out of my Win98's PATH to make it
    work. Don't know why that was there -- a fresh install of Python 2.3.4
    on my Win98 partition now works (IDLE, anyway) without that entry in
    Win98's PATH. And, I don't know why my Win2k or my Python 2.4a2 on
    Win2k even cares about my Win98's PATH.

    For academic purposes, there may be information below that still
    suggests some strangeness (at least to me and my machine) re PATH on
    Windows, or re having Python in another OS's PATH variable, or both.

    So, if you have the time and are interested, read on:

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:

    >Richard Hanson wrote:
    >> If I have a directory named "Python23" with *only* the immediate
    >> contents of "Lib" in it (no other files or directories nor any of
    >> Lib's sub-dirs) in a separate Win98 partition, then IDLE doesn't run.
    >> However, if I rename or move that dir inside another dir, then IDLE
    >> runs. I can move that subsetted Python23 dir back and forth between
    >> being hidden inside another dir and being in the root, without
    >> rebooting, and IDLE works or not, depending on the visibility of that
    >> very limited subset of the normal Python23 install directory.

    >Could it be that you have an environment variable PYTHONHOME or
    >PYTHONPATH set?

    I checked that yesterday. No PYTHONHOME nor PYTHONPATH set in Win2k's
    environment variables.

    I checked using Two Of The Many Ways To Do The Same Thing so common
    with Windows: by right-clicking on "My Computer" and then selecting
    Properties | Advanced | Environment Variables, and by using System
    Information.

    I found for my PATH variable:

    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM

    However...

    Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

    > Check for your search path definition(os.environ["PATH"]). It
    >sounds like the W98 partition is being found before the full install
    >directory, and as a result, it fails to locate some files...

    Following Dennis's lead and using Python 2.4a2 (with C:\Python23
    hidden) to get the environment, today I got the Win2k PATH with the
    Win98 PATH concatenated to it (I subsequently rebooted into Win98 on
    C: and confirmed its PATH):

    E:\\WINNT\\system32;E:\\WINNT;E:\\WINNT\\system32\\WBEM;C:\\WINLICKS;
    C:\\WINLICKS\\COMMAND;C:\\Python23\\;C:\\PROGRA~1\\GRISOFT\\AVG6;
    C:\\PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\AUTODE~1

    ("WINLICKS" was what I originally named the Windows dir in the Win98
    partition a while ago when I first installed it -- at the time, I may
    have been a bit frustrated with Windows. [Or, is being frustrated with
    Windows somewhat of a tautology? <wink>])

    Also today, I tried getting my Win2k environment using Yet Another Way
    -- from a Win2k console by typing in "path" -- and got the same
    two-OSes-concatenated, system-variables-expanded version shown
    immediately above.

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:

    >As for the console being mostly broken: what precisely does that mean?
    >If you run cmd.exe, and start c:\python24\python.exe, what happens?
    >What happens if you add a -v option to python.exe?

    I also tried that, yesterday, after reading a post from Tim Peters to
    John J. Lee (thread started with <>).

    In case it has any academic value, here's the full output (with
    C:\Python23 visible in the root of C) from yesterday:

> [...]
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\stat.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\stat.py
    | import stat # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\stat.pyc
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\UserDict.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\UserDict.py
    | import UserDict # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\UserDict.pyc
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\copy_reg.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\copy_reg.py
    | import copy_reg # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\copy_reg.pyc
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\types.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\types.py
    | import types # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\types.pyc
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\locale.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\locale.py
    | import locale # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\locale.pyc
    | import _locale # builtin
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\codecs.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\codecs.py
    | import codecs # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\codecs.pyc
    | import _codecs # builtin
    | import encodings # directory C:\Python23\Lib\encodings
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\encodings\__init__.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\encodings\__ini
    | t__.py
    | import encodings # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\encodings\__init__.pyc
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\re.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\re.py
    | import re # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\re.pyc
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\sre.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\sre.py
    | import sre # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\sre.pyc
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\sre_compile.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\sre_compile.py
    | import sre_compile # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\sre_compile.pyc
    | import _sre # builtin
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\sre_constants.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\sre_constants.py
    | import sre_constants # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\sre_constants.pyc
    | 'import site' failed; traceback:
    | Traceback (most recent call last):
    | File "C:\Python23\Lib\site.py", line 304, in ?
    | import locale, codecs
    | File "C:\Python23\Lib\codecs.py", line 692, in ?
    | strict_errors = lookup_error("strict")
    | File "C:\Python23\Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 30, in ?
    | import codecs, exceptions, re
    | File "C:\Python23\Lib\re.py", line 5, in ?
    | from sre import *
    | File "C:\Python23\Lib\sre.py", line 97, in ?
    | import sre_compile
    | File "C:\Python23\Lib\sre_compile.py", line 17, in ?
    | assert _sre.MAGIC == MAGIC, "SRE module mismatch"
    | AssertionError: SRE module mismatch
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\warnings.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\warnings.py
    | import warnings # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\warnings.pyc
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\re.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\re.py
    | import re # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\re.pyc
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\sre.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\sre.py
    | import sre # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\sre.pyc
    | # C:\Python23\Lib\sre_compile.pyc matches C:\Python23\Lib\sre_compile.py
    | import sre_compile # precompiled from C:\Python23\Lib\sre_compile.pyc
    | Python 2.4a2 (#55, Aug 5 2004, 11:42:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
    | Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

    All those references to "C:\Python23" were what originally led me to
    focus on the Python 2.3 install in the Win98 partition.

    ---

    So, while I don't understand why having a separate OS on a different
    partition affected 2.4a2 on Win2k as above (remembering that 2.3.4 on
    Win2k worked fine with that configuration), I'm quite happy that I can
    now get back to using Python rather than trying to get my laptop
    "assembled." :)

    In any event, a big hearty thanks once again -- very nice, helpful
    folks here!

    what's-a-good-Linux-distro-for-a-laptop-with-touchscreen-'ly y'rs,
    Richard

    Richard Hanson, Aug 27, 2004
  12. Re: MSI Installer Problem: can't install 2.4a2 on new install ofWin2kSP2

    Richard Hanson wrote:
    > For academic purposes, there may be information below that still
    > suggests some strangeness (at least to me and my machine) re PATH on
    > Windows, or re having Python in another OS's PATH variable, or both.

    I'm not quite sure why you have the Win98 path in W2k, but it may be
    that W2k also executes certain autoexec things.

    > So, while I don't understand why having a separate OS on a different
    > partition affected 2.4a2 on Win2k as above (remembering that 2.3.4 on
    > Win2k worked fine with that configuration), I'm quite happy that I can
    > now get back to using Python rather than trying to get my laptop
    > "assembled." :)

    That might be a subtle bug. Python tries to find out its own executable
    path name, in order to find the location to the Python installation. It
    considers two alternatives
    a) argv[0] contains a \. If so, python.exe was fully qualified, so we
    know the path.
    b) if there is no \, python.exe must be on the PATH. So we look there,
    and find one in C:\python23, and believe this is us. This logic is
    flawed, as we should *first* look into the current directory (I
    think)

    From then on, everything fails: we load the 2.3 library, which has a
    different sre version. So regular expressions don't work, and that
    causes pretty much everything to break.

    What surprises me, though, that this algorithm is *only* executed
    if GetModuleFileName fails, which should not happen in your case...

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Aug 27, 2004
  13. [Dual-booting Python 2.3.4 on Win98, and Python 2.3.4 and 2.4a2 on new
    install of Win2k. Initial install of 2.4a2 on Win2k didn't work, but
    now is. Strangeness noted. Ongoing discussion:]

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:

    >I'm not quite sure why you have the Win98 path in W2k, but it may be
    >that W2k also executes certain autoexec things.

    [FWIW, more testing this morning, unsure of its the relevancy:]

    First, I searched the Fujitsu's Win2k (E:) partition for "autoexec"
    and only turned up "autoexec.nt" which is the same as the autoexec
    file found on my HP laptop's Win2k. Nothing unusual noted there.

    Then, I decided to try and "break" Win2k's 2.4a2 again by putting
    Python back into the Win98 (C:) partition's PATH -- today, that
    *didn't* break Win2k's 2.4a2.

    I next cleaned up Win98's PATH of other extraneous entries, but left
    the Python entry in Win98's PATH for testing purposes. No change noted
    with this step -- Python 2.3.4's IDLE still worked booting into Win98,
    and 2.4a2's IDLE still worked booting into Win2k.

    Thinking that the problem may only crop up with the initial
    installation of 2.4a2 under my dual-booting conditions, I uninstalled
    Python 2.4a2 (Win2k's 2.3.4 already being uninstalled) from E:'s
    Win2k. I then checked the registry. The registry still had a few
    references to Python 2.4 as well as several to Python 2.3 in places
    other than MRUs, etc. For example, the Python file associations were
    still in the registry, and Python 2.4 appeared in branches labeled
    "Shell" and such. The desktop icons to things Python also still
    retained their usual Python appearance. Not being familiar enough, I
    tried no manual removal of the Python entries from Win2k's registry. I
    did try MS's RegClean 4.1a and another registry cleaner, but the
    Python entries remained.

    Nonetheless, I reinstalled 2.4a2, and again IDLE works with Python 2.3
    in the other OS's partition.

    (I'm still picking up my Win98's PATH in my Win2k's PATH using "path"
    at a cmd.exe console, however...?)

    A more complete testing will have to wait till I get a new harddrive
    and again reinstall. (I can't *wait*! <wink>)

    >> [...] I don't understand why having a separate OS on a different
    >> partition affected 2.4a2 on Win2k as above (remembering that 2.3.4 on
    >> Win2k worked fine with that configuration) [...]

    >That might be a subtle bug. Python tries to find out its own executable
    >path name, in order to find the location to the Python installation. It
    >considers two alternatives
    >a) argv[0] contains a \. If so, python.exe was fully qualified, so we
    > know the path.
    >b) if there is no \, python.exe must be on the PATH. So we look there,
    > and find one in C:\python23, and believe this is us. This logic is
    > flawed, as we should *first* look into the current directory (I
    > think)
    >
    > From then on, everything fails: we load the 2.3 library, which has a
    >different sre version. So regular expressions don't work, and that
    >causes pretty much everything to break.

    Check. I follow up to here -- thanks!

    >What surprises me, though, that this algorithm is *only* executed
    >if GetModuleFileName fails, which should not happen in your case...

    But now I'm way over my depth -- and today's further testing only made
    things more murky for me, alas. (If I discover anything else that
    seems relevant to me in my ignorance, I'll post -- also, alas. <wink>)

    At any rate, thanks, Martin, for taking the time to help edify me a
    little about the nuts-and-bolts of Python.

    I'm just glad that things are currently working! :)

    Best regards,
    Richard

    Richard Hanson, Aug 28, 2004
  14. Richard Hanson

    David Bolen Guest

    "Martin v. Löwis" <> writes:

    > b) if there is no \, python.exe must be on the PATH. So we look there,
    > and find one in C:\python23, and believe this is us. This logic is
    > flawed, as we should *first* look into the current directory (I
    > think)

    You'd probably need to conditionalize the use of the current directory
    on Windows, since on *nix, the current directory isn't automatically
    searched. Maybe the current implementation represents a bit of *nix
    heritage.

    -- David

    David Bolen, Aug 31, 2004