msvcrt-ruby18.dll ?

Phil Tomson

I tried building Ruby from source on Windows using MSVC++ today. I
notice that a dll gets built: msvcrt-ruby18.dll

I've got a couple of questions about this:
1) how does this dll differ from the standard msvcrt.dll that comes
with Windows?
2) can't I just statically link so there is no dependence on this dll?

I'm planning to embed Ruby into a C program. I want to build one
standalone executable; I'd rather not have to ship a dll file as well.

Phil

daz

Phil Tomson said:
I tried building Ruby from source on Windows using MSVC++ today. I
notice that a dll gets built: msvcrt-ruby18.dll

I've got a couple of questions about this:
1) how does this dll differ from the standard msvcrt.dll that comes
with Windows?
2) can't I just statically link so there is no dependence on this dll?

I'm planning to embed Ruby into a C program. I want to build one
standalone executable; I'd rather not have to ship a dll file as well.

1) Not related. msvcrt-ruby18.dll is the ruby runtime when linking with
msvcrt-ruby18.lib.

2) Yes. In your build directory you should have msvcrt-ruby18-static.lib
to link with.

daz

- Watch out for factual inaccuracies in this reply ;)