MSWC.PermissionChecker component is not available on IIS6

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Andrew Allen, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. Andrew Allen

    Andrew Allen Guest

    I need to migrate a site from Windows 2000 server running IIS5 to Windows
    2003 running IIS6.

    The site uses extensively MSWC.PermissionChecker to control what links to
    show to users. The MSWC.PermissionChecker that was part of IIS5 resource
    kit but not available in IIS6 resource kit.

    ***
    set oSecurity = Server.CreateObject("MSWC.PermissionChecker")

    If oSecurity.HasAccess("somepath\default.asp") Then
    display link to somepath\default.asp
    end if

    The component is documented by MS at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...indows2000/en/server/iis/htm/asp/comp3hf8.htm
    ***
    My infrastructure team refuses to install the PermChk.dll ( that provides
    MSWC.PermissionChecker object ) on Win2003 server for fear that this is
    unsupported dll.

    Any idea of what can be used for checking whether user has access to a page
    or code sample so I can build my own component ( i.e. DLL)?

    --
    Thank you,
    Andrew
    Andrew Allen, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Hello Andrew,

    The permchk.dll as one of the resource kit components is indeed not
    supported (even for the version within IIS 5.0) . There is a KB article
    listing these components:
    "PRB: Server.CreateObject Fails When You Use an MSWC or IISSample
    Component"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249290.

    The last version of this dll comes with Windows XP and it is not cotained
    in the Windows 2003 or IIS 6 Resource Kit tools. I think that registering
    the permchk.dll component on Windows 2003 should work fine. (

    Additional information:
    ------------------------
    There is a very elaborated kind of successor to this functionality in
    Windows 2003. Authorization Manager (azman.msc) Authorization is a utility
    that can be installed onto Windows 2003 and Windows XP Operating Systems
    (located at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=28442). It allows for
    role-based security
    configuration.

    See the following articles

    "HOW TO: Install and Administer the Authorization Manager in Windows Server
    2003"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324470

    "Authorization Manager and role-based administration overview; Windows
    Server 2003, Standard Edition"
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/p
    roddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/stan
    dard/proddocs/en-us/authm_rolebasedmgmt.asp

    Sincerely,

    Luke Zhang

    Microsoft Online Community Support
    ications.

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Aug 7, 2006

  3. Hello,

    I want to follow up with you to see if there any further question or
    concern on this issue, if so, please feel free to let us know.

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Aug 9, 2006