MSWC.PermissionChecker component is not available on IIS6

Andrew Allen

I need to migrate a site from Windows 2000 server running IIS5 to Windows
2003 running IIS6.

The site uses extensively MSWC.PermissionChecker to control what links to
show to users. The MSWC.PermissionChecker that was part of IIS5 resource
kit but not available in IIS6 resource kit.

***
set oSecurity = Server.CreateObject("MSWC.PermissionChecker")

If oSecurity.HasAccess("somepath\default.asp") Then
display link to somepath\default.asp
end if

The component is documented by MS at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...indows2000/en/server/iis/htm/asp/comp3hf8.htm
***
My infrastructure team refuses to install the PermChk.dll ( that provides
MSWC.PermissionChecker object ) on Win2003 server for fear that this is
unsupported dll.

Any idea of what can be used for checking whether user has access to a page
or code sample so I can build my own component ( i.e. DLL)?

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hello Andrew,

The permchk.dll as one of the resource kit components is indeed not
supported (even for the version within IIS 5.0) . There is a KB article
listing these components:
"PRB: Server.CreateObject Fails When You Use an MSWC or IISSample
Component"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249290.

The last version of this dll comes with Windows XP and it is not cotained
in the Windows 2003 or IIS 6 Resource Kit tools. I think that registering
the permchk.dll component on Windows 2003 should work fine. (

Additional information:
------------------------
There is a very elaborated kind of successor to this functionality in
Windows 2003. Authorization Manager (azman.msc) Authorization is a utility
that can be installed onto Windows 2003 and Windows XP Operating Systems
(located at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=28442). It allows for
role-based security
configuration.

See the following articles

"HOW TO: Install and Administer the Authorization Manager in Windows Server
2003"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324470

"Authorization Manager and role-based administration overview; Windows
Server 2003, Standard Edition"
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/p
roddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/stan
dard/proddocs/en-us/authm_rolebasedmgmt.asp

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hello,

I want to follow up with you to see if there any further question or
concern on this issue, if so, please feel free to let us know.