Multilanguage Support 2.0

AG

I have seen the samples for multilanguage support regarding what is normally
static content.
Can anyone point me to a good sample for multilanguage support for dynamic
content. Like a gridview that is populated from a database?

TIA

AG

Thanks for the quick reply Jon. That looks like a great source for
tutorials, however, I don't see anything related to
multilanguage/regionalization, etc.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello AG,

As for database table based localization solution, it also depend on your
resource data's structure and how you'll use them in the application.

You can arrange the localization data in database as:

1. define an cultureID column in each resource table and store
multilanguage resources for a certain business module in a single table

2. create a separate table for each language/culture so that you always
query any resoruce specific to a language/culture from a single table.
Actually, this is very like the static (resx, assembly) based localication

For your scenario, I think #1 is more suitable. Here are some web articles
discussing on this same topic:

#Globalization and localization demystified in ASP.NET 2.0
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/localization.asp

#ASP.NET 2.0 Globalization & Localization solution
http://www.codeproject.com/Purgatory/Internationalization.asp

http://forums.asp.net/1126817/ShowPost.aspx

Please feel free to post here if there is anything else you wonder.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome AG,

Just got some additional resource on building custom database based
localization provider for ASP.NET 2.0:

#Custom localization resource provider using an Access database
http://www.leftslipper.com/ShowFaq.aspx?FaqId=9

#ASP.NET 2.0 Custom SQL Server ResourceProvider
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/customsqlserverprovider.asp

Hope this also helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Olaf Rabbachin

Hi,
Just got some additional resource on building custom database based
localization provider for ASP.NET 2.0:

if I may jump in here - assuming one is using resource files instead of a
DB (be it Access or SQL or whatever else) for localization-purposes. How
would you enable any translation-office to translate your textual content
into any given language? At least that's the reason why I have my own DB
along with the texts and descriptions plus a win-forms application that I
can hand over in order to get translations. If there'd be a way of having a
simple way of transfering those resource-files there and back (and it's a
bunch of those!), I'd prefer to use the built-in support ...

Cheers,
Olaf

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Olaf's input.

Hi AG,

I think what Olaf has mentioned is also one weakpoint of using static
resource file based localization approach. Actually, for resource
file(satelitte assemblies), you'd better only store some fixed, not dynamic
(not database driven) localization data in resource file. Thus, all the
translation work should be done at design-time with the resx xml
files(which can also be manipulate through .net resource API). After the
resource has been compiled to .resource file or resource assembly, they'll
not be changable without recompile/generate the resource. Therefore, for
those application which will localize the data/content that is database
driven, it is better to use database based localization solution. Do you
think so?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Olaf Rabbachin

Hi,
After the resource has been compiled to .resource file or resource
assembly, they'll not be changable without recompile/generate the
resource.

.... which shouldn't be much of a problem as .Net should detect the change
in the files' date and recompile them on-the-fly. At least that's what I'd
think. :)
Therefore, for those application which will localize the data/content
that is database driven, it is better to use database based localization
solution. Do you think so?

The background is really only the problem to hand over i.e. a base-language
to translators thus enabling them to do their work. Until now I have done
my ext-app approach for translators only with win-forms applications.
With ASP.Net (running on the web as opposed to IntraNet-Apps) I'm rather
thinking about a page (or set of pages) to let them do that right in the
application itself.
However, this also has its weaknesses in distributed scenarios, i.e. with
one web-app deployed to different/independently running websites.

I think that there should really be some built-in way of dealing with this
problem, i.e. an object that can handle a set of .resx-files. Years back,
you were doing this kind of thing with simple (unicode-) text-files ...

Alternatively, I could be learning more languages and do it myself! ;-)

Gruß,
Olaf

AG

Thanks Steven.
Yes, I agree.
In my case (if I get the project), a good portion of the content will be
coming from a database anyway, so it would probably be best to keep it all
in a database.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for the followup AG.

As always, welcome to post here whenever you need any help.

Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Guest

Someone would be able to help me with russian/cyrillic on IE-7!!!
I lost an ability to see any text on russians websites and enconding doesn't
work as well with IE-7!!!