Multiple instances of ASPNET_WP.EXE?

Ben Fidge

Hi,

Our hosting company recently shut-down our site because of the resources it
was using on a co-hosted server. Apparently, it was spawning multiple
instances of ASPNET_WP.EXE.

I'm having a little trouble recreating this locally so was wondering where I
can information about when, why and how IIS/ASP.NET will spawn new instances
of ASPNET_WP.EXE so that I can gain an insight into why this is happening on
our server.

Kind regards

Ben

Mona

Hi Ben,

ASPNET_WP.EXE is the ASP.NET worker process. Hosts multiple Web applications
in separate application
domains that are used to provide isolation. Generally one instance per
server, although on multi-processor servers,
a Web garden mode supports multiple identical processes with an affinity for
a given processor. It is not possible to
separate specific Web applications into different processes. This requires
IIS 6 and Windows Server 2003.
Aspnet_wp.exe runs under the local ASPNET account, although a custom account
can be used.

You can learn more about it on the following link :
[Building Secure ASP.NET Applications: Authentication, Authorization, and
Secure Communication]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetAP04.asp

Addtional Link
[Hosting Multiple Web Applications]