multiple login popups using windows authentication

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Toby Mills, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Toby Mills

    Toby Mills Guest

    Hi,

    I'm am developing an application to use windows authentication.

    In IIS anonymous access is turned off

    In my web.config file I have:
    <authentication mode="Windows" />
    and
    <authorization><allow users="*" /></authorization>

    This works fine in the development environment, but when I deploy,
    some of the users get a windows login popup. Entering their user name
    & password works, but sometimes they need to fill it in several times
    during a page load!

    Clicking cancel seems to be acceptable, and the pages load after one
    or more popups are dismissed.

    This does not occur on all client machines, it does not occur
    consistently on the same pages either - it all seems quite random!

    One user claims that he eventually had his NT account locked out after
    canceling too many times (I still need to verify this).

    I assume that the problem must be client-side, as it doesn't happen on
    every machine. Clients are using IE 6 browsers. Authentication is set
    to 'automatic logon only in intranet zone'.

    Any ideas what could be causing this?

    Thanks,
    Toby :)
    Toby Mills, Oct 6, 2003