    think it is time you found out people don't
    like it when you post usesless crap.

    But anywho... let the flame wars begin!

    Joe Blow, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Joe Blow

    Sims Guest

    > Everybody hates multiposting right? Everyone knows about it, and some
    > people do it regardless... what i hate
    > is when instead of answering a question in the group... you get 3 or 4
    >
    > Wow... why don't you stop being a suck and post something helpful...
    >
    > I've been viewing a handfull of newsgroups for the past year and they are
    > filled with tons of whiners,
    > nitpicking at everyone's posts. Guess what, this isn't english class and
    > its a place to share ideas and help eachother
    > not bitch and complain about everyone's posting.
    >
    > I guess i'm being a bit hypocritical here but there are so many out there

    > think it is time you found out people don't
    > like it when you post usesless crap.

    wow!, a multipost troll,
    Happy new year to you 2

    Sims

    Sims, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Joe Blow wrote:
    > Everybody hates multiposting right? Everyone knows about it, and some
    > people do it regardless... what i hate
    > is when instead of answering a question in the group... you get 3 or 4
    >
    > Wow... why don't you stop being a suck and post something helpful...

    If writing something helpfull, it just means that the person will continue to
    multipost and not learn to only crosspost to a small selected number of
    newsgroups (3-4 of them).

    Anyone at home?, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Joe Blow

    Steve R. Guest

    Joe Blow > wrote in message ...
    > Why don't you stop being a suck and post something helpful...

    The simple answer is that people *are* being helpful by saying don't
    multipost, as they are educating the OP not to do it, plus other people who
    are browsing here will also be educated.

    Steve R., Dec 31, 2003
  5. Joe Blow

    CountScubula Guest

    http://gzen.myhq.info -- free online php tools
    "Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Joe Blow > wrote in message ...
    > > Why don't you stop being a suck and post something helpful...

    > The simple answer is that people *are* being helpful by saying don't
    > multipost, as they are educating the OP not to do it, plus other people

    who
    > are browsing here will also be educated.

    Ok, just my 2cents

    But rarely do I see someone educate. They say don't multi-post, you shoud
    cross-post, however, I rarely see someone explain the difference.

    Mutli = posting a message in several news groups individualy
    Cross= posting to several at one time with one post, sorta like a CC in
    email.

    Or do I have this backwards?

    --
    Mike Bradley

    CountScubula, Dec 31, 2003
  6. Joe Blow

    Szar Guest

    "Joe Blow" <> wrote in message
    > Everybody hates multiposting right? Everyone knows about it, and some
    > people do it regardless... what i hate
    > is when instead of answering a question in the group... you get 3 or 4
    >
    > Wow... why don't you stop being a suck and post something helpful...
    >
    > I've been viewing a handfull of newsgroups for the past year and they are
    > filled with tons of whiners,
    > nitpicking at everyone's posts. Guess what, this isn't english class and
    > its a place to share ideas and help eachother
    > not bitch and complain about everyone's posting.
    >
    > I guess i'm being a bit hypocritical here but there are so many out there

    > think it is time you found out people don't
    > like it when you post usesless crap.
    >
    > But anywho... let the flame wars begin!

    I agree with both Joe Blow but also agree the multiposters need to know the
    rules. How bout a compromise and let's say what your mothers should have
    taught you all, 'if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything
    at all', but if you do want to answer their question maybe add a nice
    'Please don't multipost' to it. That way everyone is happy. Ahhh.
    My personal pieve is when there are multiple 'don't multipost' messages
    across the groups for the same message, causing more pollution than the
    multipost itself. Oh, and people that get stuck in the intersection when the
    light turns red cause they couldn't watch more than 10 feet in front of
    their car, I hate that too.
    Steve.

    Szar, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Joe Blow

    Steve R. Guest

    CountScubula wrote in message ...
    > Mutli = posting a message in several news groups individualy
    > Cross= posting to several at one time with one post, sorta like a CC in
    > email.

    Yes because when you cross-post, the replies will be seen in all the
    groups, so people won't need to duplicate replies in different groups. This
    assumes that people don't strip out the newsgroups listed in the reply,
    which sometimes happen when people cross-post to the wrong groups :~)

    Here's the info ...

    Why and how to crosspost

    Crosspost, don't multipost

    Why and how to crosspost

    How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    Steve R., Dec 31, 2003
  8. Joe Blow

    Steve R., Dec 31, 2003
  9. Joe Blow

    CountScubula Guest

    "Szar" <> wrote in message
    .................. Oh, and people that get stuck in the intersection when the
    > light turns red cause they couldn't watch more than 10 feet in front of
    > their car, I hate that too.
    > Steve.

    Ok, so I don't go off NG topic, let me do this as a php thing

    $type = "grid-lock people";
    $noun = "intersection";
    $shout = "DON'T GO!";
    $iHate = "I hate $type, if there is no room across the $noun for you,
    $shout";

    (hey, that felt kinda good, there shoud be a NG for this sorta thing)

    --
    Mike Bradley
    http://gzen.myhq.info -- free online php tools

    CountScubula, Dec 31, 2003
  10. Joe Blow

    Joe Blow Guest

    One thing in particular... when there is a post and someone relpys with only
    the saying Don't multipost and thats it.... Why bother replying to the post
    if you're not gonna respond to their question. .but instead just flame them
    from multiposting... i can understand saying don't multipost to educate the
    uneducated... but do it only if you're gonna post a helpfull reply to their
    question along with it... anyone agree???? sounds reasonable enough

    Joe Blow, Dec 31, 2003
  12. Joe Blow

    Augustus Guest

    "Joe Blow" <> wrote in message
    > Everybody hates multiposting right? Everyone knows about it, and some
    > people do it regardless... what i hate
    > is when instead of answering a question in the group... you get 3 or 4

    I don't mind the "Don't Multipost" messages... it lets me know that the
    message was posted in different groups (as compared to cross posted in
    different groups)

    If somebody cross posts a message to 4 or 5 groups then I can see if
    somebody has taken the time to help them and answer any questions they
    had...

    If the message was multiposted to 4 or 5 groups then I don't know if the
    persons question was answered or not in a group I don't read (in all the
    groups this message is going to, I only read 1 of them, alt.html, even
    though I might be able to answer questions pertaining to other groups this
    message is going to)

    If I read a message and somebody has a problem and a few questions, I will
    read all replies to that message first and then if I think I can contribute
    something to the thread/solution I will post... but if the message is
    multiposted to a few groups, then I'm not going to go and find out if the
    question was answered there, instead I will just presume it is being handled
    by somebody else and save myself the 10-15 minutes it would take to reply to
    it.

    Augustus, Dec 31, 2003
  13. Joe Blow

    Tony Morris Guest

    You'll find that most public forums, chat, etc. are filled with whining and
    bitching.
    This is due to the fact that the end user is "hidden" while at the same
    time, they have
    somewhere to vent their frustrations, emotions, or whatever it might be.

    Pretty sad really, but it's a candidate as a Fact Of Life(TM).
    Just live with it and develop skills such as:
    - Recognising it
    - Avoiding it
    - Ignoring it
    Works for me.

    --
    Tony Morris
    Software Engineer

    Tony Morris, Dec 31, 2003
  14. Joe Blow wrote:
    > Everybody hates multiposting right? Everyone knows about it, and
    > some people do it regardless... what i hate
    > is when instead of answering a question in the group... you get 3 or 4

    you need a cause if folk pointing the way brings out your hate.

    > Wow... why don't you stop being a suck and post something helpful...

    hmmm. did you stop to think that it is helpful. As well as (hopefully)
    educating the o/p, it also lets others know there's little point in wasting
    their time.

    > I've been viewing a handfull of newsgroups for the past year and they
    > are filled with tons of whiners,
    > nitpicking at everyone's posts. Guess what, this isn't english class
    > and its a place to share ideas and help eachother
    > not bitch and complain about everyone's posting.

    ahhh - you want the help desk - it's down the hall on your right. you do
    have a charge card?

    > I guess i'm being a bit hypocritical here but there are so many out
    > there I think it is time you found out people don't
    > like it when you post usesless crap.

    bingo - but usenet is like that. you have a choice. you could excercise
    the choice to join in, to educate and inform. you could excercise the
    choice to ignore those posts (or contributors) you don't like, you have
    chosen to excercise your whinge-gland. it's your choice.

    > But anywho... let the flame wars begin!

    Happy new year.
    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jan 1, 2004
  15. Joe Blow

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <hUGIb.10430$>,
    says...
    > One thing in particular... when there is a post and someone relpys with only
    > the saying Don't multipost and thats it.... Why bother replying to the post
    > if you're not gonna respond to their question. .but instead just flame them
    > from multiposting... i can understand saying don't multipost to educate the
    > uneducated... but do it only if you're gonna post a helpfull reply to their
    > question along with it... anyone agree???? sounds reasonable enough

    Sadly politeness is not a requirement of usnet

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jan 1, 2004
  16. Joe Blow

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:hUGIb.10430$>
    Joe Blow said:

    > One thing in particular... when there is a post and someone relpys with only
    > the saying Don't multipost and thats it.... Why bother replying to the post
    > if you're not gonna respond to their question.

    how do you know the question hasn't already been answered in another
    group?

    --
    brucie
    01/January/2004 12:37:05 pm kilo

    brucie, Jan 1, 2004
  17. Joe Blow wrote:
    > One thing in particular... when there is a post and someone relpys
    > with only the saying Don't multipost and thats it.... Why bother
    > replying to the post if you're not gonna respond to their question.
    > .but instead just flame them from multiposting...

    you think it's a flame?

    > i can understand
    > saying don't multipost to educate the uneducated...

    good start

    > but do it only if
    > you're gonna post a helpfull reply to their question along with it...
    > anyone agree???? sounds reasonable enough

    nope - it's a warning to others that any time spent on this post is likely
    wasted as there may well be sufficient replies elsewhere.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jan 1, 2004
  18. Joe Blow

    PeterMcC Guest

    Joe Blow wrote:
    > One thing in particular... when there is a post and someone relpys
    > with only the saying Don't multipost and thats it.... Why bother
    > replying to the post if you're not gonna respond to their question.
    > .but instead just flame them from multiposting... i can understand
    > saying don't multipost to educate the uneducated... but do it only if
    > you're gonna post a helpfull reply to their question along with it...
    > anyone agree???? sounds reasonable enough

    Often the blunt, "Don't multipost" is a response from someone who's already
    responded with a helpful reply in another ng - after all, that's how a
    multipost is recognised, you've seen it before. Then, when they come across
    the same post again, I can appreciate their having an urge to rattle off a
    quick "Don't multipost".

    I do agree that a link to a "how to xpost page" such as Jukka's at
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html is useful as part of the
    response.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jan 1, 2004
  19. "Joe Blow" <> wrote in message
    > Everybody hates multiposting right? Everyone knows about it, and some
    > people do it regardless... what i hate
    > is when instead of answering a question in the group... you get 3 or 4
    >
    > Wow... why don't you stop being a suck and post something helpful...
    >
    > I've been viewing a handfull of newsgroups for the past year and they are
    > filled with tons of whiners,
    > nitpicking at everyone's posts. Guess what, this isn't english class and
    > its a place to share ideas and help eachother
    > not bitch and complain about everyone's posting.
    >
    > I guess i'm being a bit hypocritical here but there are so many out there

    > think it is time you found out people don't
    > like it when you post usesless crap.
    >
    > But anywho... let the flame wars begin!

    I agree. I also hate the whining bastards who point out every typo you
    make.

    l8r, Mike N. Christoff

    Michael N. Christoff, Jan 2, 2004
  20. On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:02:13 -0500, Michael N. Christoff wrote:

    > I agree. I also hate the whining bastards who point out every typo you
    > make.
    >

    > l8r, Mike N. Christoff

    You misspelled "later"

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffrey AT jhu DOT edu
    Website | http://www.wse.jhu.edu/newtnotes/

    Jeffrey Silverman, Jan 5, 2004