my new perspective on C++

Discussion in 'C++' started by arnuld, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. arnuld

    arnuld Guest

    hi,

    it has been a long time since i posted my last problem :). anyway, i
    wanted to say something.

    i am not learning C++ from last 1 month as you folks already know that
    Stroustrup was too difficult for me & the book availability problems
    in my country etc etc. last week, i decided to read about OOD for 7
    days, i read some pages of Booch' book & found it to be too
    incomprehensible. then i tried Object Oriented Software Construction
    (OOSE), after banging my head:

    1.) with Stroustrup's article "Why C++ is not just an Object-Oriented
    Langugage"
    2.) with OOSE &
    3.) trying those concepts (of OOSE) at Ruby programming language

    i started to understand C++, (except Pointers). my understanding about
    C++ started to grew. i looked at some C++ code & an insight about its
    design started to come.

    i still do not get Stroustrup but my C++ understanding has increased
    by a minor amount, as if i am able to get the basics design of C++ & i
    feel i can do C++ & Stroustrup approaches the C++ from a very-
    different angle than mine.

    any thoughts you want to share on this.

    arnuld, Jan 28, 2007

  2. arnuld

    nw Guest

    > i still do not get Stroustrup but my C++ understanding has increased
    > by a minor amount, as if i am able to get the basics design of C++ & i
    > feel i can do C++ & Stroustrup approaches the C++ from a very-
    > different angle than mine.
    >
    > any thoughts you want to share on this.

    The FAQ has losts of good advice on this see: http://www.parashift.com/
    c++-faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html

    Personnally I found Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo extremely
    useful. My advice would be to get hold of a copy and work through it
    from the beginning, even if you feel you already understand the
    concepts being taught, doing that improved my C++ a lot.

    nw, Jan 28, 2007

  3. arnuld

    arnuld Guest

    > Personnally I found Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo extremely
    > useful. My advice would be to get hold of a copy and work through it
    > from the beginning, even if you feel you already understand the
    > concepts being taught, doing that improved my C++ a lot.

    thanks, i thought Acelerated C++ was for programers.

    BTW, FAQS says there are only 2 books for learning C++: Stroustrup & C+
    + Primer 4/e

    Accelerated C++ falls in the "programming by example guide"

    arnuld, Jan 29, 2007
  4. arnuld

    Ivan Novick Guest

    On Jan 28, 8:55 pm, "arnuld" <> wrote:
    > > Personnally I found Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo extremely
    > > useful. My advice would be to get hold of a copy and work through it
    > > from the beginning, even if you feel you already understand the
    > > concepts being taught, doing that improved my C++ a lot.thanks, i thought Acelerated C++ was for programers.

    > BTW, FAQS says there are only 2 books for learning C++: Stroustrup & C+
    > + Primer 4/e
    >
    > Accelerated C++ falls in the "programming by example guide"

    For an easier intro, i recommend "C++ How to Program", Deitel&Deitel.

    Ivan
    http://www.0x4849.net

    Ivan Novick, Jan 29, 2007