    TR/xhtml1…" But there I do have '<' at the beginning of doctype
    declaration.
    Can anyone interested help me take a look at the problem?
    Zifre, Jul 31, 2011

  2. Zifre

    BootNic Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:21:30 -0700 (PDT)
    Zifre <> wrote:

    > When viewed locally on my computer, the page layout is what i wanted.
    > However, after i uploaded the site to server, IE (v9.0) did not
    > display the online page correctly: menu bar are missing, and the page
    > is not centered. It's displayed correctly in Chrome 14.0. The web page
    > I'm talking about is: www.pribolabs.webs.com. I tried to validate the
    > page and get the following error:
    > " Line 2: Start tag expected, '<' not found
    > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3..org/
    > TR/xhtml1…" But there I do have '<' at the beginning of doctype
    > declaration.
    > Can anyone interested help me take a look at the problem?

    Try to save the page WITHOUT BOM

    non white-space characters before the doctype may trigger quirks mode.

    For IE 8/9 setting X-UA-Compatible header or meta may resolve the issue.

    PHP => header("X-UA-Compatible: IE=edge");
    apache2 => Header set X-UA-Compatible "IE=edge"
    meta => <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

    --
    BootNic Sun Jul 31, 2011 01:03 am
    When men are pure, laws are useless; when men are corrupt, laws are broken.

    BootNic, Jul 31, 2011

  3. Zifre

    Sjeef Guest

    "Zifre" <> schreef in bericht
    > When viewed locally on my computer, the page layout is what i wanted.
    > However, after i uploaded the site to server, IE (v9.0) did not
    > display the online page correctly: menu bar are missing, and the page
    > is not centered. It's displayed correctly in Chrome 14.0. The web page
    > I'm talking about is: www.pribolabs.webs.com. I tried to validate the
    > page and get the following error:
    > " Line 2: Start tag expected, '<' not found
    > ?<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/
    > TR/xhtml1." But there I do have '<' at the beginning of doctype
    > declaration.
    > Can anyone interested help me take a look at the problem?

    Get rid of the first 'empty' line and start with the Doctype.
    Use W3C to see what is wrong with the code.
    You find W3C at: http://validator.w3.org/

    --
    Regards,

    Gerard Schaefers

    Website: http://www.sjeef.eu

    ' Vergeten' groenten? Nieuwe rubriek:
    http://www.sjeef.eu/Nederlands/Recepten/Groenten/00groenten.html
    Sjeef, Jul 31, 2011
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Zifre <>
    writing in news:fb39052f-ead3-4455-a9a4-
    :

    > When viewed locally on my computer, the page layout is what i wanted.
    > However, after i uploaded the site to server, IE (v9.0) did not
    > display the online page correctly: menu bar are missing, and the page
    > is not centered. It's displayed correctly in Chrome 14.0. The web page
    > I'm talking about is: www.pribolabs.webs.com. I tried to validate the
    > page and get the following error:
    > " Line 2: Start tag expected, '<' not found
    > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"

    "http://www.w3.org/
    > TR/xhtml1…" But there I do have '<' at the beginning of doctype
    > declaration.
    > Can anyone interested help me take a look at the problem?

    You are hosting at webs.com, I assume using a free account? Looks like
    they are injecting javascript into the last lines on the page, and that
    is probably causing the problem.

    Did you validate the page from your local computer? You can copy and
    paste the page to the validator at <http://validator.w3.org/>.

    If the page validates on your system, it is probably the hosting company
    that is making the page fail. I suggest another host.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jul 31, 2011
  5. Zifre

    se Guest

    "Zifre" <> skrev i meddelelsen
    When viewed locally on my computer, the page layout is what i wanted.
    However, after i uploaded the site to server, IE (v9.0) did not
    display the online page correctly: menu bar are missing, and the page
    is not centered. It's displayed correctly in Chrome 14.0. The web page
    I'm talking about is: www.pribolabs.webs.com. I tried to validate the
    page and get the following error:
    " Line 2: Start tag expected, '<' not found
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/
    TR/xhtml1…" But there I do have '<' at the beginning of doctype
    declaration.
    Can anyone interested help me take a look at the problem?

    You doctype declaration is not correct. xml:lang="en"
    is not the full part. The full declaration of this part looks like:
    xml:lang="en" lang="en"
    You're missing: lang="en"
    As you have a meta encoding="UTF-8?"
    then the first line "<?xml version="1.1" encoding="UTF-8"?>"
    of above can be excluded.

    <?xml version="1.1" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    /se
    se, Jul 31, 2011
  6. 31.07.2011 08:03, BootNic wrote:

    >> The web page
    >> I'm talking about is: www.pribolabs.webs.com. I tried to validate the
    >> page and get the following error:
    >> " Line 2: Start tag expected, '<' not found
    >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/
    >> TR/xhtml1…" But there I do have '<' at the beginning of doctype
    >> declaration.
    >> Can anyone interested help me take a look at the problem?

    > Try to save the page WITHOUT BOM

    That's a good guess, but a wrong one, as other guesses in this
    discussion. The OP had used the W3C Markup Validator, which did not say
    anything about BOM - it recognizes BOM in UTF-8 and warns that it may
    cause problems in browsers (which is over-cautious - you need to go back
    to something like Netscape 3 to find a BOM-challenged browser). But it
    does not say so about this page, and the page apparently has no BOM.

    It's a bit difficult to see what the page really starts with, but
    http://www.rexswain.com/httpview.html
    gives the following hex dump of the start:

    6133380D0A0AEFBB BF3C21444F435459 a38••••• •<!DOCTY

    This means that the data starts with the three characters a38 followed
    by malformed garbage. The next byte is 80, violation UTF-8 requirements
    (such a byte can only appear as a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th byte of a multibyte
    representation of a character).

    So something needs to be fixed on the server. This really isn't an HTML
    issue, as the data violates the low-level UTF-8 rules, i.e. it is
    malformed as character data. Browsers do some kludgy things that might
    be described as error recovery, but probably the three characters a38
    are sufficient for throwing IE to quirks mode.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 31, 2011
  7. Zifre

    BootNic Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:23:15 +0300
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > 31.07.2011 08:03, BootNic wrote:
    >
    >>> The web page
    >>> I'm talking about is: www.pribolabs.webs.com. I tried to validate the
    >>> page and get the following error:
    >>> " Line 2: Start tag expected, '<' not found
    >>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/
    >>> TR/xhtml1…" But there I do have '<' at the beginning of doctype
    >>> declaration.
    >>> Can anyone interested help me take a look at the problem?

    >> Try to save the page WITHOUT BOM

    > That's a good guess, but a wrong one,

    It is not a guess, a BOM is present, not where it belongs, so I suppose that
    technically makes it a zero-width non-breaking space.

    Not only is the BOM/zero-width non-breaking space present in the page, it is
    also currently present in the OP and all but one reply in this thread,
    including your reply.

    For anyone interested, in Opera toggle the encoding to ISO-8859-1, or for that
    matter in your news reader if it has that option.

    > as other guesses in this
    > discussion. The OP had used the W3C Markup Validator, which did not say
    > anything about BOM - it recognizes BOM in UTF-8 and warns that it may
    > cause problems in browsers (which is over-cautious - you need to go back
    > to something like Netscape 3 to find a BOM-challenged browser). But it
    > does not say so about this page, and the page apparently has no BOM.
    >
    > It's a bit difficult to see what the page really starts with, but

    [snip]

    > So something needs to be fixed on the server.

    Perhaps. I suspect that Adrienne may be correct in that the server may
    be injecting javascript, which may account for the BOM not being at the
    beginning of the file, and also explain why W3C Markup Validator did not say
    anything about BOM

    --
    BootNic Sun Jul 31, 2011 06:39 pm
    War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.

    BootNic, Jul 31, 2011
  8. Zifre

    Zifre Guest

    On Jul 31, 2:19 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Zifre <>
    > writing in news:fb39052f-ead3-4455-a9a4-
    > :
    >
    > You are hosting at webs.com, I assume using a free account?  Looks like
    > they are injecting javascript into the last lines on the page, and that
    > is probably causing the problem.
    >
    > Did you validate the page from your local computer?  You can copy and
    > paste the page to the validator at <http://validator.w3.org/>.
    >
    > If the page validates on your system, it is probably the hosting company
    > that is making the page fail.  I suggest another host.
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Hi Adrienne,

    I changed the doctype to HTML 5 and validated from my local computer
    as you've suggested and it passes the validator with 2 warnings:1) "
    Using experimental feature: HTML5 Conformance Checker."; 2) " Byte-
    Order Mark found in UTF-8 File."

    Now I really think something is wrong with my hosting server. I am
    using a free account and have to accept some advertisements. I'll try
    to change to another host maybe.

    Regards,
    Zifre
    Zifre, Aug 2, 2011
  9. Zifre

    Zifre Guest

    On Jul 31, 2:19 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Zifre <>
    > writing in news:fb39052f-ead3-4455-a9a4-
    > :
    >

    > > When viewed locally on my computer, the page layout is what i wanted.
    > > However, after i uploaded the site to server, IE (v9.0) did not
    > > display the online page correctly: menu bar are missing, and the page
    > > is not centered. It's displayed correctly in Chrome 14.0. The web page
    > > I'm talking about is:www.pribolabs.webs.com. I tried to validate the
    > > page and get the following error:
    > > " Line 2: Start tag expected, '<' not found
    > > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"

    > "http://www.w3.org/
    > > TR/xhtml1…" But there I do have '<' at the beginning of doctype
    > > declaration.
    > > Can anyone interested help me take a look at the problem?

    > You are hosting at webs.com, I assume using a free account?  Looks like
    > they are injecting javascript into the last lines on the page, and that
    > is probably causing the problem.
    >
    > Did you validate the page from your local computer?  You can copy and
    > paste the page to the validator at <http://validator.w3.org/>.
    >
    > If the page validates on your system, it is probably the hosting company
    > that is making the page fail.  I suggest another host.
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Hi Adrienne Boswell ,

    I tried another hosting server and it works in IE also! I actually
    chose this hosting company because it is ad free. The link is:
    www.anm.atspace.eu

    Thanks for you help and also thanks to everyone else who have provided
    insightful opinion! Now I can continue to add more content into my
    first website!

    Regards,
    Zifre
    Zifre, Aug 2, 2011
  10. Zifre

    idle Guest

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 06:44:43 -0700 (PDT), Zifre wrote in alt.html:

    > On Jul 31, 2:19 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Zifre <>
    >> writing in news:fb39052f-ead3-4455-a9a4-
    >> :
    >>
    >> You are hosting at webs.com, I assume using a free account?  Looks like
    >> they are injecting javascript into the last lines on the page, and that
    >> is probably causing the problem.
    >>
    >> Did you validate the page from your local computer?  You can copy and
    >> paste the page to the validator at <http://validator.w3.org/>.
    >>
    >> If the page validates on your system, it is probably the hosting company
    >> that is making the page fail.  I suggest another host.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Adrienne Boswell at Home
    >> Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    >> Please respond to the group so others can share

    > Hi Adrienne,
    >
    > I changed the doctype to HTML 5 and validated from my local computer
    > as you've suggested and it passes the validator with 2 warnings:1) "
    > Using experimental feature: HTML5 Conformance Checker."; 2) " Byte-
    > Order Mark found in UTF-8 File."
    >
    > Now I really think something is wrong with my hosting server. I am
    > using a free account and have to accept some advertisements. I'll try
    > to change to another host maybe.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Zifre

    You're correct. Find a paid host that won't do this to you.
    <script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://images.webs.com/static/global/js/webs/usersites/escort.js"></script><script
    type="text/javascript">if(typeof(urchinTracker)=='function'){_uacct="UA-230305-2";_udn="none";_uff=false;urchinTracker();}</script>
    There are plenty low cost hosts out there.

    --
    idle
    None of us is as good as all of us.
    idle, Aug 2, 2011