MySpace type

Sehboo

I am writing a website and I would like user to choose their
templates/backgrounds just like myspace. This gives user a feeling of
belonging. My question is how would I allow it? what can go wrong in
terms of security? Is there any easy solution to this, or am I
operning a can of worms?

thanks

Eliyahu Goldin

You should be careful with this. A user may produce something ugly and it
will be attributed to your design.

Sehboo

I guess, I don't really care about how bad it looks. You may view
pages on myspace.com, some of them are so ugly that I want to throwup.
So, if user wants to create an ugly page, it is upto them. My concern
is how do we program that user has this option and also if there are
any security issues that I need to worry about.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

Sehboo said:
I am writing a website and I would like user to choose their
templates/backgrounds just like myspace. This gives user a feeling of
belonging. My question is how would I allow it? what can go wrong in
terms of security? Is there any easy solution to this, or am I
operning a can of worms?

thanks

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
I guess, I don't really care about how bad it looks. You may view
pages on myspace.com, some of them are so ugly that I want to throwup.
So, if user wants to create an ugly page, it is upto them. My concern
is how do we program that user has this option and also if there are
any security issues that I need to worry about.

One way to let the user customize his "homepage" on your site is to use
web parts.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/e0s9t4ck.aspx
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2005/01/10/liberty.html

HTH,