mySQL and asp.net questions - PLEASE HELP

JJ

I am a newbie to mySQL. I am developing an ASP .net Web site with mySQL as
the database (of products), using vb .net 2003.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good book (or in fact ANY book) on
using mySQL with asp .net ??

I am having trouble working out:
1. What type of connector to use to my database (i.e. ODBC or mySQL's .net
Connector)?
2. Whether it is advised to bind you data to the web controls (e.g.
datagrid). I've read somewhere that binding asp controls to your mySQL data
is not advised.....??

I really need help so _ANY_ constructive comments greatly appreciated.

Flash

dmm

OK so I not an expert never having built an ASP.NET web app against mySQL,
however, I have built an app that talked to mySQL and had web bits that
talked to the backend in php.

I think the most pertinent part of my experience as it applies to you is
that you should be using the managed connectors to mySQL [1].

As for the recommendations that you don't bind your web controls to mySQL?
Seems a bit odd and I suspect your sources are a little misinformed.

HTHs

[1]
http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/net/

JJ

Hi - Thanks for your reply - Thats certainly one vote for the .net
connector. Some seem to be having probls with it - at least in .net 2.0.

The article regarding the bdinging issue is here:
http://www.vbmysql.com/articles/visual-basic/no_data_binding.html

??

Flash

JJ said:
I am a newbie to mySQL. I am developing an ASP .net Web site with mySQL as
the database (of products), using vb .net 2003.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good book (or in fact ANY book)
on using mySQL with asp .net ??

I am having trouble working out:
1. What type of connector to use to my database (i.e. ODBC or mySQL's
.net Connector)?
2. Whether it is advised to bind you data to the web controls (e.g.
datagrid). I've read somewhere that binding asp controls to your mySQL
data is not advised.....??

I really need help so _ANY_ constructive comments greatly appreciated.

Flash

JJ

The article regarding the binding issue is here: