Need C++ Beautifier - must be VERY configurable

Shug

Hi,

We need a C++ beautifier, and due to the specific requirements of some
of our developers, it has to be very configurable. After trying some
free ones, we now realise that we might need to pay to get the options
we need.

We've tried AStyle - good, but not nearly configurable enough.
We've tried GreatCode - very good - much more configurable, but still
missing a few options

I've heard recommendations of Semantic Designs product, but I'm not
sure if it's got the features we need.

We've previously used Jindent for Java, and it was absolutely perfect,
because it was so configurable. They appear to be thinking about a C++
product, and other language formatters, but they're not available yet.

Some options we need for our C++ are:

- must have a command line interface option - to run as an external
tool from our IDEs
- brace positioning for everything - try catch, if else, switch,
methods
- insert a user-configurable file header (e.g., insert an external
user-specified text file)
- insert user-configurable method headers
- can IGNORE the formatting of MACROS
- can specify spaces required everywhere - including between Class
names and Object names in method calls etc
- can format entire projects automatically

Any suggestions very much appreciated, especially from developers
already using such a beautifier.

Cheers

Shug

Roland Pibinger

We need a C++ beautifier, and due to the specific requirements of some
of our developers, it has to be very configurable.

We've tried AStyle - good, but not nearly configurable enough.
We've tried GreatCode - very good - much more configurable, but still
missing a few options

Haven't cross-checked your requirements but the following tool claims
to have '168 configurable options as of version 0.30'. If that's not
enough combine the 3 tools in a pipe. I guess more beauty is hardly
possible.

http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/

Good luck,
Roland Pibinger

Shug

Roland said:
Haven't cross-checked your requirements but the following tool claims
to have '168 configurable options as of version 0.30'. If that's not
enough combine the 3 tools in a pipe. I guess more beauty is hardly
possible.

http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/

Good luck,
Roland Pibinger

Thanks for your response Roland.

I had already searched in sourceforge for the usual terms, but that one
didn't come up.

I'll have a look at it later today - thanks again!

Shug

Shug

Roland said:
Haven't cross-checked your requirements but the following tool claims
to have '168 configurable options as of version 0.30'. If that's not
enough combine the 3 tools in a pipe. I guess more beauty is hardly
possible.

http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/

Good luck,
Roland Pibinger

Thanks again for that link Roland.

Having used uncrustify for a few days now, I have to say it's the best
beautifier that we've looked at recently - better than AStyle and
GreatCode, and also better than a couple of commercial products.

Additionally, the developer has been very accomodating with suggestions
for new Features, suggesting that this app will continue getting better
and more configurable. I suppose the more people use it and
contribute, the better it will be all round.

So, Roland, thanks for suggesting Uncrustify.

And credit to the uncrustify developer, Ben, for a great app.

Shug

Shug