Need C++ Beautifier - must be VERY configurable

Discussion in 'C++' started by Shug, Nov 25, 2006.

  1. Shug

    Shug Guest

    Hi,

    We need a C++ beautifier, and due to the specific requirements of some
    of our developers, it has to be very configurable. After trying some
    free ones, we now realise that we might need to pay to get the options
    we need.

    We've tried AStyle - good, but not nearly configurable enough.
    We've tried GreatCode - very good - much more configurable, but still
    missing a few options

    I've heard recommendations of Semantic Designs product, but I'm not
    sure if it's got the features we need.

    We've previously used Jindent for Java, and it was absolutely perfect,
    because it was so configurable. They appear to be thinking about a C++
    product, and other language formatters, but they're not available yet.

    Some options we need for our C++ are:

    - must have a command line interface option - to run as an external
    tool from our IDEs
    - brace positioning for everything - try catch, if else, switch,
    methods
    - insert a user-configurable file header (e.g., insert an external
    user-specified text file)
    - insert user-configurable method headers
    - can IGNORE the formatting of MACROS
    - can specify spaces required everywhere - including between Class
    names and Object names in method calls etc
    - can format entire projects automatically

    Any suggestions very much appreciated, especially from developers
    already using such a beautifier.

    Cheers

    Shug
    Shug, Nov 25, 2006

  2. On 25 Nov 2006 04:54:25 -0800, "Shug" wrote:
    >We need a C++ beautifier, and due to the specific requirements of some
    >of our developers, it has to be very configurable.
    >
    >We've tried AStyle - good, but not nearly configurable enough.
    >We've tried GreatCode - very good - much more configurable, but still
    >missing a few options

    Haven't cross-checked your requirements but the following tool claims
    to have '168 configurable options as of version 0.30'. If that's not
    enough combine the 3 tools in a pipe. I guess more beauty is hardly
    possible.

    http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/

    Good luck,
    Roland Pibinger
    Roland Pibinger, Nov 25, 2006

  3. Shug

    Shug Guest

    Roland Pibinger wrote:
    > On 25 Nov 2006 04:54:25 -0800, "Shug" wrote:
    > >We need a C++ beautifier, and due to the specific requirements of some
    > >of our developers, it has to be very configurable.
    > >
    > >We've tried AStyle - good, but not nearly configurable enough.
    > >We've tried GreatCode - very good - much more configurable, but still
    > >missing a few options

    > Haven't cross-checked your requirements but the following tool claims
    > to have '168 configurable options as of version 0.30'. If that's not
    > enough combine the 3 tools in a pipe. I guess more beauty is hardly
    > possible.
    >
    > http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Roland Pibinger

    Thanks for your response Roland.

    I had already searched in sourceforge for the usual terms, but that one
    didn't come up.

    I'll have a look at it later today - thanks again!

    Shug
    Shug, Nov 26, 2006
  4. Shug

    Shug Guest

    Roland Pibinger wrote:
    > On 25 Nov 2006 04:54:25 -0800, "Shug" wrote:
    > >We need a C++ beautifier, and due to the specific requirements of some
    > >of our developers, it has to be very configurable.
    > >
    > >We've tried AStyle - good, but not nearly configurable enough.
    > >We've tried GreatCode - very good - much more configurable, but still
    > >missing a few options

    > Haven't cross-checked your requirements but the following tool claims
    > to have '168 configurable options as of version 0.30'. If that's not
    > enough combine the 3 tools in a pipe. I guess more beauty is hardly
    > possible.
    >
    > http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Roland Pibinger

    Thanks again for that link Roland.

    Having used uncrustify for a few days now, I have to say it's the best
    beautifier that we've looked at recently - better than AStyle and
    GreatCode, and also better than a couple of commercial products.

    Additionally, the developer has been very accomodating with suggestions
    for new Features, suggesting that this app will continue getting better
    and more configurable. I suppose the more people use it and
    contribute, the better it will be all round.

    So, Roland, thanks for suggesting Uncrustify.

    And credit to the uncrustify developer, Ben, for a great app.

    Shug
    Shug, Nov 29, 2006
  5. Shug

    Shug Guest