Looking for automated C++ beautifier/styler

Discussion in 'C++' started by Matt England, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. Matt England

    Matt England Guest

    I am looking for a C++ code beautifier/styler. Requirements and a
    list of potential choices follow. I'm looking for people's specific
    recommendations and reasons thereof per their specific experience,
    particularly if you have evaluated many tools or received feedback
    from others who have.

    Requirements I seek: run on Linux systems, command line operation,
    save styling-configuration in a file that can be shared by many users,
    flexible and robust styling options (SourceStylerC++ our favorite thus
    far, looking for alternatives).
    Free-of-charge is nice but not required. Open-source is preferred.

    OchreSoftware's SourceStylerC++ is one of my group's favorites, but
    it's Windows only and rather hefty price ($300). I compiled a short
    list of some others I have found (below) but have yet to check out.
    I'm hoping to fine SourceStyler's capability in unix/linux flavor that
    we can run from the commandline. (OchreSoftware: if you're watching,
    we'll gladly pay for your stuff, if we could get a Linux port we could
    run automatically in our build/code-management processes.)

    http://www.ochresoftware.com/index.html
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcgreatcode/
    http://www.polystyle.com/
    http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/Formatters/CppFormatter.html
    http://www.slickedit.com/
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/C-C Beautifier-HOWTO.html
    http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/Documentation/CodeBeautifier.html
    http://astyle.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.sgvsarc.com/
    http://www.flexisoftsolutions.com/

    Thanks for any help.
    -Matt
    Dispersed storage: http://cleversafe.org
    --
    Remove the "downwithspammers" and other obviously bad text to email me.

    Matt England, Oct 4, 2006

  2. Matt England

    Shug Guest

    Matt England wrote:
    > I am looking for a C++ code beautifier/styler. Requirements and a
    > list of potential choices follow. I'm looking for people's specific
    > recommendations and reasons thereof per their specific experience,
    > particularly if you have evaluated many tools or received feedback
    > from others who have.
    >
    > Requirements I seek: run on Linux systems, command line operation,
    > save styling-configuration in a file that can be shared by many users,
    > flexible and robust styling options (SourceStylerC++ our favorite thus
    > far, looking for alternatives).
    > Free-of-charge is nice but not required. Open-source is preferred.
    >
    > OchreSoftware's SourceStylerC++ is one of my group's favorites, but
    > it's Windows only and rather hefty price ($300). I compiled a short
    > list of some others I have found (below) but have yet to check out.
    > I'm hoping to fine SourceStyler's capability in unix/linux flavor that
    > we can run from the commandline. (OchreSoftware: if you're watching,
    > we'll gladly pay for your stuff, if we could get a Linux port we could
    > run automatically in our build/code-management processes.)
    >
    > http://www.ochresoftware.com/index.html
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcgreatcode/
    > http://www.polystyle.com/
    > http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/Formatters/CppFormatter.html
    > http://www.slickedit.com/
    > http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/C-C Beautifier-HOWTO.html
    > http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/Documentation/CodeBeautifier.html
    > http://astyle.sourceforge.net/
    > http://www.sgvsarc.com/
    > http://www.flexisoftsolutions.com/
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > -Matt
    > Dispersed storage: http://cleversafe.org
    > --
    > Remove the "downwithspammers" and other obviously bad text to email me.

    Hi Matt

    You might also want to look at uncrustify at sourceforge.

    I asked the same question as you, and from a handful of beautifiers I
    tried, this one looks very promising.

    Additionally, the developer has been very accomodating with suggestions
    for new Features, suggesting that this app will continue getting better
    and more configurable. I suppose the more people use it and
    contribute, the better it will be all round.

    Shug

    Shug, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Matt England

    Shug Guest