Need css & graphics help..will pay good money

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bob, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hello folks.

    I'm getting ready to launch a web site...it's a "dating" website
    strictly for the Dublin, Ireland area.

    My friends are telling me I need to enhance my site...make it visually
    more appealing.

    I don't want a lot of heavy graphics.....just some simple CSS features
    to improve the look.

    I'm not looking for a free lunch, I'll pay whatever I need to
    pay......but again....I want simplicity....the page now has a lot of
    whitespace and I want to keep it that way.

    I guess what I need is a REAL artist...someone who can take a web page
    and make it look great without using "Hollywood" type special effects,
    ect.

    Here's the URL, see what you can do with it.

    http://www.DublinFriendMaker.Com/

    Let me know what you think.

    Bob Sweeney
    Bob, Feb 23, 2006

  2. Bob wrote:
    > I'm getting ready to launch a web site...it's a "dating" website
    > strictly for the Dublin, Ireland area.
    > My friends are telling me I need to enhance my site...make it visually
    > more appealing.

    Your friends are right.

    > I don't want a lot of heavy graphics.....just some simple CSS features
    > to improve the look.

    Look at similar sucessful sites. See what they do. You probably want
    to follow the lead of someone sucessfull.
    Travis Newbury, Feb 23, 2006

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Travis.....thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks for the
    good advice.

    Can I take a quick look at some of your websites?

    Thanks

    Bob
    Bob, Feb 23, 2006
  4. Bob

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote:

    > Bob wrote:
    > > I'm getting ready to launch a web site...it's a "dating" website
    > > strictly for the Dublin, Ireland area.
    > > My friends are telling me I need to enhance my site...make it visually
    > > more appealing.

    > Your friends are right.
    >
    > > I don't want a lot of heavy graphics.....just some simple CSS features
    > > to improve the look.

    > Look at similar sucessful sites. See what they do. You probably want
    > to follow the lead of someone sucessfull.

    Geez Travis!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 23, 2006
  5. Bob

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Bob" <> wrote:

    > Hello folks.
    >
    > I'm getting ready to launch a web site...it's a "dating" website
    > strictly for the Dublin, Ireland area.
    >
    > My friends are telling me I need to enhance my site...make it visually
    > more appealing.
    >
    > I don't want a lot of heavy graphics.....just some simple CSS features
    > to improve the look.
    >
    > I'm not looking for a free lunch, I'll pay whatever I need to
    > pay......but again....I want simplicity....the page now has a lot of
    > whitespace and I want to keep it that way.
    >
    > I guess what I need is a REAL artist...someone who can take a web page
    > and make it look great without using "Hollywood" type special effects,
    > ect.
    >
    > Here's the URL, see what you can do with it.
    >
    > http://www.DublinFriendMaker.Com/
    >
    > Let me know what you think.
    >
    > Bob Sweeney

    Have you contacted local designers? There would have to be many
    good ones in Dublin, who know the city and would have a head
    start for this reason alone.

    It is not the lack of any real artist that makes your page so
    awful, it is the lack of any sense of design (in web design this
    is a different thing). Clearly, all the borders are a dreadful
    mistake, including the double red one. So is the blind adherence
    to centering all (you even centre text that explains things at
    some length in pop outs). So, what I am saying is look for a web
    designer whose work you like in the Dublin area, not necessarily
    one that is any kind of "real artist".

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 23, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:
    >It is not the lack of any real artist that makes your page so
    >awful, it is the lack of any sense of design (in web design this
    >is a different thing). Clearly, all the borders are a dreadful
    >mistake, including the double red one. So is the blind adherence
    >to centering all (you even centre text that explains things at
    >some length in pop outs). So, what I am saying is look for a web
    >designer whose work you like in the Dublin area, not necessarily
    >one that is any kind of "real artist".

    Good plan. If only you could hook up with some new friend in Dublin.
    I think there's a site like that but it's name escapes me at the
    moment.

    1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
    Richard Sexton, Feb 23, 2006
  7. Bob

    David Segall Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote:

    >My friends are telling me I need to enhance my site...make it visually
    >more appealing.
    >
    >I don't want a lot of heavy graphics.....just some simple CSS features
    >to improve the look.
    >
    >I'm not looking for a free lunch, I'll pay whatever I need to
    >pay......but again....I want simplicity....the page now has a lot of
    >whitespace and I want to keep it that way.

    You and your friends are right but I can only suggest a free lunch.
    Well, actually two of them. First go to http://www.oswd.org/ and, with
    the aid of your friends, choose one of the open source designs there.
    The advanced search function allows you to insist on one using CSS.
    Cut and paste the contents of your site into the template but use the
    text format they provide. Then go to http://www.sxc.hu/ and choose
    some of the free photos there. I'm sure that you have observed that
    pictures are almost essential for an attractive web site and that the
    relevance of the picture to the topic is not considered important.
    >I guess what I need is a REAL artist...someone who can take a web page
    >and make it look great without using "Hollywood" type special effects,
    >ect.

    Maybe, but good graphic designers are difficult to find and they would
    probably insist on a total redesign of your site.
    David Segall, Feb 24, 2006
  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Dear DoReMe...

    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posting.

    It's clear from your remarks that I could benefit greatly from your
    canernous vault of knowledge and wisdom.

    Can you send me a few links to some of the sites that you created?

    Thanks-In-Advance,

    Bob
    Bob, Feb 24, 2006
  9. Bob

    dorayme Guest

    In article <dtlfr3$3v2$>,
    (Richard Sexton) wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    > >It is not the lack of any real artist that makes your page so
    > >awful, it is the lack of any sense of design (in web design this
    > >is a different thing). Clearly, all the borders are a dreadful
    > >mistake, including the double red one. So is the blind adherence
    > >to centering all (you even centre text that explains things at
    > >some length in pop outs). So, what I am saying is look for a web
    > >designer whose work you like in the Dublin area, not necessarily
    > >one that is any kind of "real artist".

    > Good plan. If only you could hook up with some new friend in Dublin.
    > I think there's a site like that but it's name escapes me at the
    > moment.

    new friend? site like that? huh?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 24, 2006
  10. Bob wrote:
    > Travis.....thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks for the
    > good advice.
    > Can I take a quick look at some of your websites?

    I don't make websites. I create Flash based e-learning and webcast
    development tools.
    Travis Newbury, Feb 24, 2006
  11. David Segall wrote:
    > Then go to http://www.sxc.hu/ and choose
    > some of the free photos there.

    Awesome site! Awesome images. (Though a little slow during busy times)
    We have used them for several years now.
    Travis Newbury, Feb 24, 2006
  12. Bob

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Bob" <> wrote:

    > Dear DoReMe...
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posting.
    >
    > It's clear from your remarks that I could benefit greatly from your
    > canernous vault of knowledge and wisdom.
    >
    > Can you send me a few links to some of the sites that you created?
    >
    > Thanks-In-Advance,
    >
    > Bob

    "canernous" eh? Not sure I like the sound of this. I am
    suspecting you are posting questions in bad faith. That Travis
    picked up on this possibility way ahead of me and now I feel bad
    about thinking he might have been a touch ... well... whatever...

    I suggested you at least contact local designers for a good
    reason (you _did_ say you were not interested in a free lunch).

    Please do not disfigure my name, it is dorayme. If you are in any
    way sarcastic to me from now on, I will get Luigi (whom I am on
    good terms with) to killfile you. You will not like that, trust
    me.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 24, 2006
  13. Bob

    Marty Guest

    Bob,

    If you're still looking for someone let me know - would be happy to
    discuss privately.

    Marty Landman
    http://face2interface.com/
    Marty, Feb 24, 2006
  14. Marty wrote:
    > If you're still looking for someone let me know - would be happy to
    > discuss privately.
    > http://face2interface.com/

    Your kidding right?

    Your pages don't validate. Your blue border is broken. The services
    link changes to a completely different design. Clicking hosting takes
    you to a 3rd completely different design. All three have different
    navigation. And the worst thing you do it you LIE on your website!
    You claim "trademarks" but you own none of the trademarks you claim.

    How can someone trust you if you blatantly lie on your website?
    Travis Newbury, Feb 24, 2006
  15. Bob

    Marty Guest

    You're right that my pages don't validate. My site is entirely dynamic
    and uses several different design templates and switches between them
    unless you choose the option of choosing a particular one.

    As for the trademark issue, my understanding was that I am free to
    claim a trademark if not already taken, without going through the
    process of registration. Thought it was like a copyright in that
    respect. I do not claim any "registered trademarks".
    Marty, Feb 24, 2006
  16. Marty wrote:
    > As for the trademark issue, my understanding was that I am free to
    > claim a trademark if not already taken, without going through the
    > process of registration. Thought it was like a copyright in that
    > respect. I do not claim any "registered trademarks".

    Do a search, several are taken.
    Travis Newbury, Feb 24, 2006
  17. dorayme wrote:
    > > Look at similar successful sites. See what they do. You probably want
    > > to follow the lead of someone successful.

    > Geez Travis!

    "Geez Travis" because I am stating the obvious (which is obviously not
    obvious to the OP)

    Or "Geez Travis" because you should not do what other successful
    companies are doing?
    Travis Newbury, Feb 24, 2006
  18. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Travis...I want to follow the lead of you.....

    Can you show some of your work....I'm sure it's brilliant!

    Bob
    Bob, Feb 24, 2006
  19. Bob wrote:
    > Travis...I want to follow the lead of you.....
    > Can you show some of your work....I'm sure it's brilliant!

    Follow my lead for what? Are you making e-learning? A webcast?
    Travis Newbury, Feb 24, 2006
  20. Bob

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed:

    > Bob wrote:
    > > Travis.....thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks for the
    > > good advice.
    > > Can I take a quick look at some of your websites?

    > I don't make websites. I create Flash based e-learning and webcast
    > development tools.

    Interesting. Are you anti-establishment or is this just some peculiar
    Travisty of yours?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Feb 24, 2006