need good IDE

Zach

Running Windows 98 SE and Debian GNU Linux (unstable release) with
2.4.18 kernel.

What are good IDEs for each platform?

Regards!
Zach

Matej Barac

Zach said:
Running Windows 98 SE and Debian GNU Linux (unstable release) with
2.4.18 kernel.

What are good IDEs for each platform?

Regards!
Zach
You can't go wrong with any Microsoft Visual Studio IDE. Even the 7
years old 6.0 is used by a lot (most?) Windows developers today. Of
course there's Borland but I never used it. There's Dev-C++ a free IDE
using the (cygwin) gcc compiler, but it's worth noting you can get
Microsoft's compiler for free also.

On Linux I only used KDevelope but I guess most people prefer Emacs :)

Ulrich Eckhardt

Matej said:
There's Dev-C++ a free IDE using the (cygwin) gcc compiler,

Small correction: DevC++ doesn't use CygWin but mingw32, both incorporate
the GCC though.
but it's worth noting you can get Microsoft's compiler for free also.

Last time I looked, those versions freely available were seriously crippled
with regard to their features (no inlining or static libs), their C++
(yes, off topic here but the OP multiposted also to at least one C++
group) standardlibrary or the things you were allowed to do with them
(license).

Uli

Matej Barac

Ulrich said:
Last time I looked, those versions freely available were seriously crippled
with regard to their features (no inlining or static libs), their C++
(yes, off topic here but the OP multiposted also to at least one C++
group) standardlibrary or the things you were allowed to do with them
(license).

Uli

I can't say for sure because I never used it but from their website it
says you get:

# Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker. These are the same
compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional

# C Runtime Library and the C++ Standard Library, including the Standard
Template Library. These are the same static-link libraries included
with Visual Studio.

# Microsoft .NET Framework Common Language Runtime.

# Sample code

I'm no lawyer but from what I can tell from the EULA you can use for any
purpose that VS.NET grants you. There's no debugger, but there's
Microsoft debugging tools available as another free download from their
site.

Here the link to download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9d-40bb-49fd-9cb0-4bfa122fa91b&displaylang=en

And the EULA: http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/eula.aspx

Alex

Running Windows 98 SE and Debian GNU Linux (unstable release) with
2.4.18 kernel.

If you are not interested in a complete compiler-suite, like Borland or
Visual-Studio, but seek an IDE for any compiler, you might want to have a
look at IBMs Eclipse platform.

It was originally developed for Java, but it has a series of plugins,
supporting, among others C/C++. Since it is written in Java, it works on
any platform that supports Java.

Have a look at http://www.eclipse.org. The C/C++ Development Tools can be
found at http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

regards,
Alex

CBFalconer

jacob said:
lcc-win32 features an IDE, a debugger and a resource editor.
It is a C compiler, not C++.
It runs in all versions of windows.

Not those that are running on 486s. :-[

User Epoxy

Running Windows 98 SE and Debian GNU Linux (unstable release) with
2.4.18 kernel.

What are good IDEs for each platform?

Regards!
Zach

Well, all I run is FreeBSD and I have grown a strong liking for Eclipse.
You have to get the C/C++ (plugin i guess is what it is called?), but it
does it's job. I can't get code completion to work, but it provides a
nice helping hand in the outline, etc. You do have to use a makefile to
compile though... makes for a slight hassle when you have a little 1 file
project.

I also peaked into KDevelope.. nice code completion and syntax
highlighting... although the default colors are horrible. KDevelope is
somewhat nice.. it offers function collapsing (and Eclipse). KDevelope
also offers some decent plugins.

Anjuta is also nice... very comparable to KDevelope, but seems to be more
programmer based, instead of just a desktop user. Take a peak, it's
definatly worth a try. Many of the same attributes as KDevelope.. I just
think the style of the whole IDE is better.

simple editors with syntax highlighting and a few helping hands:
Jed (console) and regular 'ol GEdit. (notepad with syntax highlighting
and a few other nice features... small, but you can't get much more
lightweight in the X11 environment.

Hope this helps. I just went through your situation! :) (minus the
Windows part :p )

jacob navia

Alex said:
If you are not interested in a complete compiler-suite, like Borland or
Visual-Studio, but seek an IDE for any compiler, you might want to have a
look at IBMs Eclipse platform.

It was originally developed for Java, but it has a series of plugins,
supporting, among others C/C++. Since it is written in Java, it works on
any platform that supports Java.

Have a look at http://www.eclipse.org. The C/C++ Development Tools can be
found at http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

regards,
Alex

It is interesting to see how an IDE written in C compares to that one.

Eclipse is 87.5 MB zip file
lcc-win32 is 4MB zip.

lcc-win32 is a true C ide, i.e. it provides:

o goto definition (eclipse doesn't do it as far as I see)
o debugger (eclipse uses GDB!)
o Resource editor (not in eclipse as far as I see)
o linker and compiler (not in eclipse)

Here we see how C compares to Java...

jacob navia

CBFalconer said:
jacob said:
Zach wrote:

lcc-win32 features an IDE, a debugger and a resource editor.
It is a C compiler, not C++.
It runs in all versions of windows.

Not those that are running on 486s. :-[

Yes Chuck. Sorry about that.

It REQUIRES a pentium I or higher.

CBFalconer

jacob said:
CBFalconer said:
jacob said:
.... snip ...

lcc-win32 features an IDE, a debugger and a resource editor.
It is a C compiler, not C++.
It runs in all versions of windows.

Not those that are running on 486s. :-[

Yes Chuck. Sorry about that.
It REQUIRES a pentium I or higher.

For no good reason except that you once put in some CPU specific
code and don't know where. Makes a mockery out of portability.

i.malaka.r

Anjuta is a really good IDE for someone who wants one for any Linux or
Unix based platform. I've used Dev C++ 4.9 for sometime in Windows and
finds it good but not very good.