Need guidance for learning

Sara

Hi All,
I started with (was taught) C and C++, then I learnt to use Perl by
reading books and examples. Once I knew how to use hashes, regexes,...
I have been using Perl for all my tasks from text manipulation to
working with Word and Excel. I am now able to write statements like
*/, $sentence)))."\n</sentence>";
I think I can solve problems by the usual procedural-type of
programming, but I'd like to use more of references and packages with
"use strict", more object-oriented like what I did earlier with C++;
move from Perl4-style programs to Perl5-style if I am right in saying
that.

I've been "lurking" in this group for a long time and I've seen the
code that you people write. In short I want to create programs like
you people.
It would be very much helpful if someone could show the path to
progress, should it be in this order like perlsub, perlref, perlmod,
perlboot, ... Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the guidance!!

Matija Papec

I've been "lurking" in this group for a long time and I've seen the
code that you people write. In short I want to create programs like
you people.
It would be very much helpful if someone could show the path to
progress, should it be in this order like perlsub, perlref, perlmod,
perlboot, ... Any other suggestions?

D. Conway wrote great "Object oriented Perl" which has good introduction to
perl objects and is also loaded with advanced techniques,
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/#Object_Oriented_Perl

There is also Lama book from Randal, but I didn't read it yet,
http://books.perl.org/book/200

hope it helps

Paul Lalli

D. Conway wrote great "Object oriented Perl" which has good introduction to
perl objects and is also loaded with advanced techniques,
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/#Object_Oriented_Perl

There is also Lama book from Randal, but I didn't read it yet,
http://books.perl.org/book/200

To clarify, the Llama book is Learning Perl. The book suggested
above is Learning Perl Objects, References, and Modules. This is the
followup to Learning Perl. This is the Alpaca book.

(A "Lama" book would most likely be about Tibetan priests...)

I have read both the Llama and the Alpaca, and in my never humble opinion,
they are both excellent works. The Alpaca will definately be helpful on
your way to understanding objects and modules.

Paul Lalli

Matija Papec

Paul Lalli said:
To clarify, the Llama book is Learning Perl. The book suggested
above is Learning Perl Objects, References, and Modules. This is the
followup to Learning Perl. This is the Alpaca book.

(A "Lama" book would most likely be about Tibetan priests...)

LOL :)))
You're right, I guess this was under subconscious influence from perlmonks.
:)
I have read both the Llama and the Alpaca, and in my never humble opinion,
they are both excellent works. The Alpaca will definately be helpful on
your way to understanding objects and modules.

Can you compare it against Damian book? Judging from TOC, Alpaca doesn't
cover some advanced techniques.

Sara

John J. Trammell said:
Under "other", I'd put the Perl Quiz of the Week, see
http://perl.plover.com/qotw/.

Thanks for all the info!!

I happened to see the Perl Quiz of the Week for the first time about
fifteen days back. It has quite interesting problems. I don't know
when I would raise to that level :-(

Just one clarification. Would you recommend to take up a book on OO
directly or is there any prerequisite for it -- like, would it be
better if I make myself thorough with references and packages.

I don't want to underuse Perl; write ten lines of code in an
"undisciplined manner" which can be done neatly in two or three lines.

Thanks.

Eric Bohlman

(e-mail address removed) (Sara) wrote in
Just one clarification. Would you recommend to take up a book on OO
directly or is there any prerequisite for it -- like, would it be
better if I make myself thorough with references and packages.

I'd definitely make sure I thoroughly understood perlreftut, perlref,
perldsc, and perlmod, and then go on to perlboot, perltoot and perlobj.
Quite a bit of learning before you plunk down a single $ENV{CURRENCY} on a
book.

Sara

Eric Bohlman said:
(e-mail address removed) (Sara) wrote in

I'd definitely make sure I thoroughly understood perlreftut, perlref,
perldsc, and perlmod, and then go on to perlboot, perltoot and perlobj.
Quite a bit of learning before you plunk down a single $ENV{CURRENCY} on a
book.

Thanks a lot for all the help and guidance!!

Richard Williams

Sara said:
Just one clarification. Would you recommend to take up a book on OO
directly or is there any prerequisite for it -- like, would it be
better if I make myself thorough with references and packages.

The Alpaca book mentioned above covers this ground as well - the real OOP
stuff doesn't start until chapter 8, and only a knowledge of 'traditional'
procedural Perl is assumed (as covered in the Llama). You might want to
check out the tables of contents and sample chapters of both books at
perl.oreilly.com to get an idea of what they include - you may well be
able to jump straight to the Alpaca.

Richard.

Sara

The Alpaca book mentioned above covers this ground as well - the real OOP
stuff doesn't start until chapter 8, and only a knowledge of 'traditional'
procedural Perl is assumed (as covered in the Llama). You might want to
check out the tables of contents and sample chapters of both books at
perl.oreilly.com to get an idea of what they include - you may well be
able to jump straight to the Alpaca.

Richard.

Never expected so much of precise guidance, was actually expecting
flames to shoot out. LOL :)