Need help in deciding which Java technology to choose

Discussion in 'Java' started by Nir, Jul 9, 2008.

  1. Nir

    Nir Guest

    Hi,
    I'm a .Net programmer who needs to convert existing applications to
    Java.
    I have two types of applications:
    1. Simple 1-page applications, that read xml files, change xml files,
    and display HTML pages to the user.
    2. More complex applications that use a web service to get data,
    display it to the user, and then call the web service to alter data in
    the database.

    My question is, given the plethora of information in this course, is
    there a specific lesson I should pick up on? I mean, the simple
    applications seem to be fit for simple JSP pages, but is there a more
    suitable technology for the more complex applications? JSF, for
    example?

    I'd be happy to get your comments!
    Thanks a lot,
    Nir

    Nir, Jul 9, 2008

  2. Nir

    jsguru72 Guest

    When I first started using Java for web development, I used only JSP.
    They were easy to learn and had the flexibility where I could hack
    together scriplets and a such to create fairly dynamic sites without
    having to learn too much about servlets and other technologies.

    As I learned more, I then added layers to what I was doing. I began
    using servlets to manage user access. I used JSF to display and
    update data. I dabbled with Hibernate on ORM, but don't get me
    started on that.

    I think JSP would be a great place to start. Maybe then create some
    backing beans to manage your data. As you get into more dynamic
    interfaces, add JSF and AJAX into the mix.

    jsguru72, Jul 9, 2008

  3. Nir

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Nir wrote:
    > I'm a .Net programmer who needs to convert existing applications to
    > Java.
    > I have two types of applications:
    > 1. Simple 1-page applications, that read xml files, change xml files,
    > and display HTML pages to the user.
    > 2. More complex applications that use a web service to get data,
    > display it to the user, and then call the web service to alter data in
    > the database.
    >
    > My question is, given the plethora of information in this course, is
    > there a specific lesson I should pick up on? I mean, the simple
    > applications seem to be fit for simple JSP pages, but is there a more
    > suitable technology for the more complex applications? JSF, for
    > example?

    Java has good XML support.

    Java has good web service support if you pick an IDE that can
    do some of the stub generation for you (similar to VS add web
    reference).

    JSP pages are quite easy to start with. At least if you can live
    with scriptlet code (<% %>).

    JSF is probably the closest you will get to the ASP.NET
    programming model.

    But JSF do take an effort to learn (more than ASP.NET !). But if
    you get a good book, then you can do it.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 10, 2008