Needed: Python IDE for the visually impaired

Michael Chermside

I received a request from John Guildford, asking whether there is
an IDE available for Python development which will work with
Window-Eyes, Jaws, or other common screen readers. Unfortunately,
IDLE will not work (presumably because the TK widgets are not
standard windows widgets).

Does anyone have a suggestion about IDEs to use in this
circumstance? Advice from other developers with visual impairments
would be particularly welcome. In addition to responding to the
list, could you please CC John at "(e-mail address removed)".

-- Michael Chermside

----- John's original email -----

Neil Hodgson

Michael Chermside:
I received a request from John Guildford, asking whether there is
an IDE available for Python development which will work with
Window-Eyes, Jaws, or other common screen readers. Unfortunately,
IDLE will not work (presumably because the TK widgets are not
standard windows widgets).

It is unlikely that any of the Scintilla based IDEs (Komodo, PythonWin,
HAP, Boa, Wing, SciTE, ...) will be suitable as Scintilla is a custom
control. Scintilla is also incompatible with screen magnifiers as it does
not use the standard Windows caret.

Neil