Needed: Python IDE for the visually impaired

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Chermside, May 6, 2004.

  1. I received a request from John Guildford, asking whether there is
    an IDE available for Python development which will work with
    Window-Eyes, Jaws, or other common screen readers. Unfortunately,
    IDLE will not work (presumably because the TK widgets are not
    standard windows widgets).

    Does anyone have a suggestion about IDEs to use in this
    circumstance? Advice from other developers with visual impairments
    would be particularly welcome. In addition to responding to the
    list, could you please CC John at "".

    -- Michael Chermside

    ----- John's original email -----
    Michael Chermside, May 6, 2004

  2. Michael Chermside

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    Michael Chermside:

    > I received a request from John Guildford, asking whether there is
    > an IDE available for Python development which will work with
    > Window-Eyes, Jaws, or other common screen readers. Unfortunately,
    > IDLE will not work (presumably because the TK widgets are not
    > standard windows widgets).

    It is unlikely that any of the Scintilla based IDEs (Komodo, PythonWin,
    HAP, Boa, Wing, SciTE, ...) will be suitable as Scintilla is a custom
    control. Scintilla is also incompatible with screen magnifiers as it does
    not use the standard Windows caret.

    Neil
    Neil Hodgson, May 8, 2004