.Net 2.0 - Should I?

David Lozzi

Hello,

I am in need of some advice. I want to move to .Net 2.0 and Visual Studio
2005 for ASP.NET developement, however I'm hesitant. Here are a few
questions I have regarding the upgrade:

1) Currently I have several customers with .Net web applications I've
written. If I upgrade to VS2005 and go to update these applications, will
VS2005 assume .Net 2.0 and use whatever new syntax or properties? Or keep it
on my current version?

2) Following #1, can I develop a new site easy enough in VS2005 for .Net
1.1? Currently, all of my customer's hosting servers are only at .Net 1.1
and who knows when an upgrade will come!

3) I use Visual Source Safe 6. If I upgrade to VS2005, do I have to upgrade
VSS? Or will it still run? I know there's an update to VSS as well as a
whole new feature, the Team System, but I just need to figure out my upgrade
road map.

I realize some of the questions may be answered somewhere on Microsoft's
site

Andrew Robinson

David,

VS 2005 is really a wonderful product and I really enjoy using it!

Having said that:

1. If you customers are willing to pay you to upgrade their projects, then
it might be a good move, but simply moving to VS2005 will not give you
better performance or stability. You need to decide how much new code you
are going to write. If they applications are pretty stable from a feature
and coding standpoint, then you will not really gain anything by moving to
2005.

2. You cannot target .NET 1.x with VS 2005. VS2005 only works with the v2.0
Framework. If you customers are unwillling to upgrade to the 2.0 Framework,
you will need to stay with VS2003

3. Don't know?

4. VS2003 and VS2005 work nicely side by side as do the v1.1 and v2.0
Frameworks. Your customers can install the 2.0 Framework on their machines
without affecting their applications that target the 1.1 Framework.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can comment on VSS.

-Andrew

Juan T. Llibre

RE:
Hope this helps.

It does, and it's accurate.

re:
Maybe someone else can comment on VSS.

See the VSS roadmap :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvsent/html/vssmap.asp

and this article on VSTS 2005 Source Control and Work Item Tracking:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvsent/html/vsts-team.asp

This MSDN article is particularly enlightening :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/t...l=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/VSTmSysvsVSS.asp

The article outlines the major factors that will help developers decide between
Visual SourceSafe 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server
for software change management.

Kevin Spencer

1) Currently I have several customers with .Net web applications I've
written. If I upgrade to VS2005 and go to update these applications, will
VS2005 assume .Net 2.0 and use whatever new syntax or properties? Or keep
it on my current version?

VS.Net 2005 will only upgrade to .Net 2.0. You can still use VS.Net 2003 for
..Net 1.1 applications.
2) Following #1, can I develop a new site easy enough in VS2005 for .Net
1.1? Currently, all of my customer's hosting servers are only at .Net 1.1
and who knows when an upgrade will come!

Define "easily enough." How easy it is depends on you. However, you can run
both ASP.Net 1.0 and ASP.Net 2.0 apps side-by side. In other words, you have
no compelling reason to upgrade immediately.
3) I use Visual Source Safe 6. If I upgrade to VS2005, do I have to
upgrade VSS? Or will it still run? I know there's an update to VSS as well
as a whole new feature, the Team System, but I just need to figure out my
upgrade road map.

You can continue to use VSS 6 with VS.Net 2005. I do.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
If you push something hard enough,
it will fall over.
- Fudd's First Law of Opposition

David Lozzi

So I can run VS2005 along side VS2003 on the same workstation? If I go with
VS2005, I assume .Net will be 2.0 and its backwards compatible to 1.1.

Thanks!

Juan T. Llibre

re;
So I can run VS2005 along side VS2003 on the same workstation?
Yes.

re:
If I go with VS2005, I assume .Net will be 2.0 and its backwards compatible to 1.1.

If you "go with VS2005", and only 2005,
you'll have to convert any 1.1 projects to 2005.

You can't program against the .Net Framework 1.1 using VS 2005.

OTOH, nothing stops you from running both VS 2003 and VS 2005
and programming against 1.1 with 2003 and against 2.0 with 2005.

WenJun Zhang[msft]

Hi David,

All the comments here are definitely correct. You can ship both .net fx
1.1/.net fx 2.0 and VS2003/VS2005 smoothly on the same machine. There will
be a config UI added into IIS to switch a site between ASP.net 1.1 and
ASP.net 2.0 after you install VS2005. So you don't need to manually perform
the whole side-by-side configuration:

Using IIS with VS 2005 and the new Web Project system
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/23/423409.aspx

The new visual studio team system(VSTS) isn't the replacement of VSS. It
suits for distributed solution design. The new generation of VSS in Whidbey
is VSS2005 which is for individual developers or small groups.

Best regards,

WenJun Zhang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Kevin Spencer

Yes, you can run both IDEs on the same machine. They are completely
separate, and use different versions of the .Net framework. But you cannot
work on a .Net 1.1 app with Visual Studio.Net 2005. It will only upgrade 1.1
projects to 2.0.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
If you push something hard enough,
it will fall over.
- Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Kevin Spencer

OTOH, nothing stops you from running both VS 2003 and VS 2005
and programming against 1.1 with 2003 and against 2.0 with 2005.

In fact, I've been doing just this (maintaining different .Net platform apps
on the same machine using both versions of VS.Net) for quite some time now.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
If you push something hard enough,
it will fall over.
- Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Daniel Walzenbach

Hi,

how do you handle ViewState which is sotred in a StateServer? After
installing the .NET Framework the service for the stateserver v.1.1 was
replaced with the 2.0 one.

Thanks

Daniel

Juan T. Llibre

ViewState is never stored in StateServer or anywhere else.
Viewstate is sent with the returned page.

Kevin Spencer

how do you handle ViewState which is sotred in a StateServer?

I use a pair of tongs, and wear gloves.

--
;-O,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
If you push something hard enough,
it will fall over.
- Fudd's First Law of Opposition

David Lozzi

OK, If I open a 1.1 proj in VS2005, is there a wizard or something to
convert it to 2.0? Or is it automatic?

Kevin Spencer

Yes, there's a wizard, but be warned, it is not perfect, and you will most
probably have to go through and complete the task on your own.