.NET error using Group Policy Management Console?

Bryan Linton

I make extensive use of Group Policy on our SBS 2003, so a few weeks ago I
finally installed the Group Policy Management console snap-in on my XP Pro
SP2 workstation. I've been successfully managing Group Policy via this
console, but today when I selected a GPO and clicked the Settings tab, it
hung on the message "Generating Report..." for much longer than usual, and
finally displayed the following error message:

"An Error occurred while generating report: File or assembly name System, or
one of its depedencies, was not found."

Efforts to run down this message mostly lead to discussions of version
errors with the .NET framework that I don't completely follow. However, I
tried uninstalling and reinstalling the .net framework, and checking my
service pack level (I thought I might have applied .NET Framework SP2, but
it doesn't appear to be installed on my system). I'm not sure what's next.
Should I try uninstalling and reinstalling the GPM console? I'd rather not
work blindly, so I don't want to try too much until I have a better idea of
what went wrong in the first place.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan