.NET Framework won't install

Someone Please Help!

I had Visual Studio .NET installed on my system for a
while and then decided I would install a second copy of
Windows 2000 on my second drive and use it strictly for
developing Visual Basic apps. I reformatted and
reinstalled Windows 2000 on my first and my second drives.
On the second drive I tried to install Visual Studio .NET.
Of course, the install program said I needed to update
some components so it ran the updates on the Component
Update disk. All of the updates installed successfuly
except the .NET Framework. I tried everything but it
wouldn't install. The Visual Studio installation wouldn't
proceed without the .NET Framwork installed. I downloaded
the latest .NET Framwork from the Microsoft site and
installed it. It installed successfully, but when I tried
to install Visual Studio again, it still said the
Framework wasn't updated. Still no luck installing it from
the cd. I have tried this same scenario on my first drive
with the same results. Can anyone tell me if you've run
into this same problem or if there is a fix for it? I
installed Visual Studio without the dependancy check but I
can't start a project because it says it can't find
the .NET Framwork directory. Can someone please help?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

It sounds like you should try a manual removal of the .NET Framework and start
over:

PRB: Installation of .NET Framework Fails and Requires Manual Removal

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320112

Let us know if this helps?

Ken

[...]

vbnovice

Thank you for your reply. I read the article you refered
to below and followed the instructions explicitly.
However, none of the items the article was refering to
were in my registry. There is no mention of .NET Framwork
in my Add/Remove Programs and the Mscoree.dll file did not
exist. .NET Framework will not install at all from the
Visual Studio .NET disk. Here is an excerpt from the
baseventlog.txt after attempting to install VS:
VS70BaseUI: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : DepCheck indicates
Microsoft .NET Framework is not installed.
It also says:
"Microsoft .NET Framework: Error code 0 for this component
means "The operation completed successfully.
"Microsoft .NET Framework: Setup Succeeded on component
Microsoft .NET Framework" but again, it's not installed.
There are no other error messages in the file.

Again, thanks for trying to help, but still no luck.