net/ftp problems

Lei Wu

Hi,

I'm having problems getting net/ftp on a windows installation.

I have a program to upload files via ftp to a few different servers.
Very basic ftp operations with net/ftp: login, upload files, chdir,
close connection. It works perfectly with all servers except one
server, which is running Microsft FTP 2.0 (I think it comes with
IIS2. Must be a very old machine.) My program can always upload files
when it first starts, then after a while, it will hang when trying to
upload files to that server. No exception is thrown -- it just hangs
there forever. If I close the program and restart it, it can upload
files again immediately.

My second problem is that when I try to connect to another FTP server
on Linux, chdir and dir don't work at all.

Any input would be much appreciated. I'm trying to promote Ruby in our
company. These problems can be major setbacks.

Thanks in advance.

Lei