Net::OSCAR send_im timing problems

andrewflanders

I'm creating a feature for a website that will allow users to opt into
getting news updates via AIM. I noticed that if I connected to the aol
server and immediately IM'd the user the message wouldn't go through so
I have to force a delay to get the first message through, but despite
that I eventualy can't send IMs or even log in unless I wait for about
10 minutes to pass. Does anybody know if there are AIM bot rules
officialy or unofficialy and if so what they are or where I can find
them?

Thanks alot,

Andrew

Jay Tilton

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

: I'm creating a feature for a website that will allow users to opt into
: getting news updates via AIM. I noticed that if I connected to the aol
: server and immediately IM'd the user the message wouldn't go through so
: I have to force a delay to get the first message through, but despite
: that I eventualy can't send IMs or even log in unless I wait for about
: 10 minutes to pass. Does anybody know if there are AIM bot rules
: officialy or unofficialy and if so what they are or where I can find
: them?

By what logic did you conclude that a Perl discussion group is an
appropriate place to ask a question about AIM?

andrewflanders

Well I'm using an elaborate perl module called Net::OSCAR to connect to
the AIM service. I haven't discounted the perl module as a source of
the problem and someone here might have had similar trouble with it
also.