New Jet, New Firefox

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Jun 18, 2008

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:50:16 +0000 (UTC), Steve Sobol
    said :

    >I don't think the improvements in Firefox have any to do with Java,
    >except that the rendering engine is supposed to be a lot faster no

    Java and browsers are like ham and eggs.

    One odd thing about the new Firefox is it seems to render a far
    greater part of the Unicode set than I expected. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/hexentities.html
    to see what I mean.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Jun 18, 2008

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:06:26 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >One odd thing about the new Firefox is it seems to render a far
    >greater part of the Unicode set than I expected. See
    >http://mindprod.com/jgloss/hexentities.html
    >to see what I mean.

    I think what it must be doing is checking to see if a char is
    available in the given font, and if not, uses a backup font. This is
    not strictly kosher, but makes sense now we have some CPU power to do
    it.

    Maybe Java could get this too.

    Roedy Green, Jun 18, 2008
  4. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:50:16 +0000 (UTC), Steve Sobol
    > said :
    >> I don't think the improvements in Firefox have any to do with Java,
    >> except that the rendering engine is supposed to be a lot faster no

    > Java and browsers are like ham and eggs.

    You mean that people eat both ham and eggs but not together ??

    :)

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 19, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:13:33 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>

    >You mean that people eat both ham and eggs but not together ??

    no. In North America they are commonly eaten together, just as Java
    and browsers often work together, either with Applets or with server
    side code.

    Roedy Green, Jun 19, 2008
  6. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:13:33 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>
    >> You mean that people eat both ham and eggs but not together ??

    > no. In North America they are commonly eaten together, just as Java
    > and browsers often work together, either with Applets or with server
    > side code.

    Applets are pretty rare today.

    Server side Java and browsers are nicely separated by
    various standards.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 19, 2008
  7. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:57:45 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>

    >Server side Java and browsers are nicely separated by
    >various standards.

    That would be nice, but Ajax has undone that work.

    Roedy Green, Jun 20, 2008
  8. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:57:45 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>
    >> Server side Java and browsers are nicely separated by
    >> various standards.

    > That would be nice, but Ajax has undone that work.

    No.

    AJAX still uses HTTP, HTML, XML etc. and there are no
    coupling between the JavaScript running client side
    and whether the server side is PHP, ASP.NET or Java EE.

    (except if you use GWT and its RPC mechanism)

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 21, 2008
  9. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:51:10 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>

    >AJAX still uses HTTP, HTML, XML etc. and there are no
    >coupling between the JavaScript running client side
    >and whether the server side is PHP, ASP.NET or Java EE.

    However the server has to be aware of the flavour of JavaScript on the
    client and adjust the code it sends to dodge its bugs and
    eccentricities. The blood-brain server-client barrier is anything but
    clean.

    Roedy Green, Jun 21, 2008
  10. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:51:10 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>
    >> AJAX still uses HTTP, HTML, XML etc. and there are no
    >> coupling between the JavaScript running client side
    >> and whether the server side is PHP, ASP.NET or Java EE.

    > However the server has to be aware of the flavour of JavaScript on the
    > client and adjust the code it sends to dodge its bugs and
    > eccentricities. The blood-brain server-client barrier is anything but
    > clean.

    That is not how it is done (usually). The server send the same
    JavaScript to all clients and the JavaScript itself tests
    on what browser it is.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 21, 2008