New Jet, New Firefox

Roedy Green

One odd thing about the new Firefox is it seems to render a far
greater part of the Unicode set than I expected. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/hexentities.html
to see what I mean.

I think what it must be doing is checking to see if a char is
available in the given font, and if not, uses a backup font. This is
not strictly kosher, but makes sense now we have some CPU power to do
it.

Maybe Java could get this too.

Roedy Green

You mean that people eat both ham and eggs but not together ??

no. In North America they are commonly eaten together, just as Java
and browsers often work together, either with Applets or with server
side code.

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
no. In North America they are commonly eaten together, just as Java
and browsers often work together, either with Applets or with server
side code.

Applets are pretty rare today.

Server side Java and browsers are nicely separated by
various standards.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
That would be nice, but Ajax has undone that work.

No.

AJAX still uses HTTP, HTML, XML etc. and there are no
coupling between the JavaScript running client side
and whether the server side is PHP, ASP.NET or Java EE.

(except if you use GWT and its RPC mechanism)

Arne

Roedy Green

AJAX still uses HTTP, HTML, XML etc. and there are no
coupling between the JavaScript running client side
and whether the server side is PHP, ASP.NET or Java EE.

However the server has to be aware of the flavour of JavaScript on the
client and adjust the code it sends to dodge its bugs and
eccentricities. The blood-brain server-client barrier is anything but
clean.

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
However the server has to be aware of the flavour of JavaScript on the
client and adjust the code it sends to dodge its bugs and
eccentricities. The blood-brain server-client barrier is anything but
clean.

That is not how it is done (usually). The server send the same
JavaScript to all clients and the JavaScript itself tests
on what browser it is.

Arne