New Python book

Dick Moores

(Sorry, my previous post should not have had "Tutor" in the subject header.)

Magnus Lie Hetland's new book, _Beginning Python: From Novice to
Professional_ was published by Apress on Sept. 26 (in the U.S.). My copy
arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. Very much worth a look, IMHO.
But what do the experts here think?

<http://www.bestbookdeal.com/book/compare/159059519X>

Dick Moores
(e-mail address removed)

Jeremy Jones

Maurice said:
I had the opportunity to glance through the book in Borders yesterday.
On the whole, I think it is well covered and is very readable. Perhaps I
was looking for a specific aspect, and I find that threads did not get
enough attention. Looking at the index pages, the topics on threads
(about 4-5 pages) is mainly found in the context of GUI programming.

maurice
I don't have my hard copy of the book, but from memory and grepping over
the soft copy, you appear to be correct. Remember, though, that this is
a beginning book on Python and *I* would consider threading a more
advanced topic. I think putting threading in the context of GUI
programming is just about right for an intro book.

- jmj

hrh1818

The title is very misleading. The book is a nice introduction to
Python, covers the high lights of Python without getting bogged down in
detail and the author has a lively writing style. But the book has very
litle to entice professional programmers.

hrh1818

This book is not a new book. It is an updated version of Magnus's 2002
Practical Python book.

Alex Martelli

hrh1818 said:
This book is not a new book. It is an updated version of Magnus's 2002
Practical Python book.

Then it's probably a good book, because Practical Python sure was!

Alex